Taking an OS off a HDD??

Depja

Baseband Member
How do you take an OS off a HDD and put it on a disc to install on another computer?? Is this legal? Thanks!:)

first off, taking an OS to a disk and "installing" it would work based on my knowledge, HOWEVER... there may be a possibility you could create a backup file of you entire system and run it as a restore on the other... i don't know you whole situation (lack of details), so this is all i can say.

I've never heard of pulling an operating system off a hard drive it is installed on and installing it on another. It would be cool, but I don't think it is possible.

If you run belarc advisor on a computer running from that hard drive, it will tell you the cd-key for that operating system. You could then find installation media for the OS and install it with that cd key.

What you are talking about won't really work and is probably not legal anyway unless you have a full version copy of windows (pre-installed OEM versions that come with PCs are usually not full versions). The closest you might be able to come to doing this is by cloning your hard drive and then reimaging the hard drive on a PC with identical hardware. I don't think this is what you're talking about, though.

Back
Top Bottom