Taking 5+ minutes to boot!

snowdog

Baseband Member
Deleted all of the startup items, now fixing to delete some services. Which services should I not delete? All I want is anti-virus and firefox.

Well, if your pc is taking that long to boot then you should consider running virus and spyware scans.

I would also recommend to take some time and run some anti-malware scans.

A good majority of the time, you can google the service startup names and determine what service they are.

I would also note that many times viruses/spyware like to disguise themselves as a normal program. If you could take the time to post some of them I could help you sort through them.

Here are some of the services listed. Thanks everyone.

Application Layer Gateway Service
Application Management
ASP.NET State Service
Ati HotKey Poller
Windows Audio
Background Intelligence Transfer Service
Computer Browser
Indexing Service
.NET Runtime Optimization Service
COM+ System Application
Cryptographic Services
DCOM Server Process Launcher
DHCP Client
Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service
Logical Disk Manager
DNS Client
Wired AutoConfig
Extensible Authentication Protocol Service
Error Reporting Service
Event Log
COM+Event System
FSGKHS
Fast User Switching Compatibility

AFAIK, you'd want to keep all of those items. How strapped down are you for performance? OS? Hardware? Removing everything except for anti-virus from the startup is usually enough for me.

What OS are you using?

XP.
It's doing better now. All but 2 startup items are gone, and all but 4 non-microsoft services are gone.
It was getting aggravating when I'd click on Firefox or Explorer it would take 30-60 seconds to open up a brows.

Ok. Booting is faster, but still takes 30 seconds or so to open a browser or email. Speed is fine once its opened.

Does it delay only the initial instance you try to open up your browser or email or does it do this well after the boot sequence has completed?

Edit: Also, did you run your scans yet for viruses and other things?

Back
Top Bottom