tailgating parents...

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me it's the other way around. For the most part, seems like the parents are the children and the children are the adults, lol.

Good, depending on how you see it.

ahhhhh, my parents are like that. Always picking around in my stuff, telling me i should stay off the computer and get some fresh air. Always asking me what imdoing with my life...ver, very annoying.

how old are some of your parents?

i always figured my parents were the way they are because they were young when they had me mom was 16 (now 33) dad was 17 (now 34)

I love seeing parents who are completely overbearing on their kids. Those are the kids that go to college, drink, get high, fork everything that moves and eventually fail out because they finally have some freedom. I only had 2 rules when i was growing up. Er well 3 when i was younger, dont fail out, dont bring home a kid, and dont get arrested. Other than that i was pretty much free to do what i wanted.

Yeah but the very annoying thing is..im one of the good ones":D" lol i havent gotten my self into much trouble, like getting in fights or being arrested etcetc so they should be able to trust. But oh well:confused:

how old are some of your parents?

i always figured my parents were the way they are because they were young when they had me mom was 16 (now 33) dad was 17 (now 34)

My dads around 56 and my mums around 54. My mum had me when she was 37..so that was kind of late. And so they dont understand much about me and the trends and lifestyles going around these days. (which is good.)

Speaking as a parent I can give you some insight. We just want to know what's going on. It isn't that we want to run your life, we want to give you the wisdom we have gathered over the years and hopefully you will see the mistakes we made and avoid them in your own life. The older you get the smarter your parents become. If you have kids of your own, you will want them to have better than you had, avoid the pitfalls you fell into. And while you may feel the total hands off approach is better, if you do not have structure and discipline as a child, you will struggle as an adult. Better to have your parents involved early. If you feel they are getting too much in your business, sit down and talk to them about it in a mature way. No yelling, and talk like an adult, not a teenager. Show them you are mature enough to start handling your own life. We find it hard to accept that our kids are growing up. But we do take a lot of pride in seeing them succeed as adults. They way I measure my success as a parent is how my kids fare in their own lives.

Speaking as a parent I can give you some insight. We just want to know what's going on. It isn't that we want to run your life, we want to give you the wisdom we have gathered over the years and hopefully you will see the mistakes we made and avoid them in your own life. The older you get the smarter your parents become. If you have kids of your own, you will want them to have better than you had, avoid the pitfalls you fell into. And while you may feel the total hands off approach is better, if you do not have structure and discipline as a child, you will struggle as an adult. Better to have your parents involved early. If you feel they are getting too much in your business, sit down and talk to them about it in a mature way. No yelling, and talk like an adult, not a teenager. Show them you are mature enough to start handling your own life. We find it hard to accept that our kids are growing up. But we do take a lot of pride in seeing them succeed as adults. They way I measure my success as a parent is how my kids fare in their own lives.

This is how my parents treated me. BUT, the thing you have to understand is that some parents ARE IN FACT total control freaks who think they have to have their finger in every single aspect of their kids life. And by being a complete overbearing nazi, the kids are going to go buck wild when they get out of the house. Ask my ex gf, who once she got to college turned into the biggest whore you have ever met. She literally went wang crazy and dumped me because she was always told every thing to do and everywhere to be.

This is how my parents treated me. BUT, the thing you have to understand is that some parents ARE IN FACT total control freaks who think they have to have their finger in every single aspect of their kids life. And by being a complete overbearing nazi, the kids are going to go buck wild when they get out of the house. Ask my ex gf, who once she got to college turned into the biggest whore you have ever met. She literally went wang crazy and dumped me because she was always told every thing to do and everywhere to be.

Agreed. Same in my case, nobody had to make me walk in a strait line. Im am quite good. However i have habbit of being the scape goat of everyone. So whatever goes wrong..it immediately come back to me....
but anyway the point is i understand the "parents" approach..but just not in this case.

My parents were the same way... I didn't really have a problem with it, cause I wasn't a 'bad kid', and wasn't doing anything wrong, so I didn't have anything to worry about... (lets not start that infringing on freedoms discussion... lol... they are parents, not uncle sam)...

I am at a point where I am Adult, but not a parent, and yet still young enough to have the teenage mentality...... Ok, I'm 25, but don't really feel that way.... My brother & sister are 6 & 8 year younger than me. They both still live at home, and my brother I would think is similar to you revenge2... (not saying you are like this, but this is how he is)... He has a problem with the fact that he is 19, and has no more 'legal curfew', but my parents still give him a curfew. I find it really funny that he can't understand the fact that it doesn't have so much to do with them trying to ruin all his fun, as it does with the fact that he wakes everyone up when he comes home, or will bring people over late. The way I see it, if you live at home past 18, your parents are your landlords, and you must follow the rules they put in place. If you don't like the rules, your options are to 1, talk with them about the rules, and possible changes, 2, move out.

Looking back, I would have to say that when we argued, my parents were right about 90-95% of the time. I didn't really argue with my parents much when I was a kid.... I was under the 'roll with the punches, play the game' mentality.... I dunno....

Wow, just zoned out for a few minutes at work and typed that... almost time to go, YAY!.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom