T1 vs all other solutions, help refute

Revarc

Beta member
I am in the process of attempting to get my company to switch internet and voice providers and get away from the T1 lines we are currently using. While I am not permitted to name the company in this form nor enable to act on its behalf I will say it is a national company with multiple locations in nearly every state.

Recently I recieved an email defending the decision to use T1's over any other service available and would welcome any help I could get to refute it. Here is what I recieved:

"There are a several other aspects that go into a design decision like this. The first aspect is the quality of service component in the cloud (Comcast and Internet). Comcast provides traffic prioritization for Comcast voice only. When using Comcast with a VPN solution voice quality is unstable, unreliable, and averages worse than a cell phone call. It works fine for a Vonage but when you add several calls at once the degradation of services increase to a noticeable level (MOS scores). A T1 circuit @ 1.536 has tight QoS SLA's with voice guarantees, as well as reduced latency which will prevent calls from working beyond 250ms round-trip delay. Traditionally when sending traffic through the Internet, voice is acceptable for home use but not for business quality services. This is because it is not a guaranteed service and can drop at any time. Jitter is also common on these types of services. When considering the cost of losing a call or a series of calls, this becomes a factor. Add to this are the SLA's from Comcast to a carrier like AT&T and there are large differences. For AT&T, they restore services quickly. At Comcast, it is not a considered high priority outage unless 20,000+ clients are down from one incident, which means that it can take a few weeks to restore services for a connectivity issue. If less than 20,000 users are affected, it is not even reported until the next day.
There are a lot of other factors that also go into the decision criteria, but we regularly re-evaluate all solutions in order to find the best business solution for AmeriGas. At some point in time the Internet will be good alternative which will drastically reduce our cost footprint, but until all of the factors ensure it is reliable for business use, we will have to continue using alternate solutions.

[NAME REMOVED]
Sr. IT Architect
Engineering Manager"

Currently in the process of installing cisco 7942G VOIP phones at all office locations, and our computers systems are using virtual desktops running from centeral servers located on the east coast through Wyse thin clients utilizing Citrix. Also use sharepoint (badly).

Thanks in advance.

First, it sounds like you aren't in a position to be making the decision anyway and if your bosses say no, well that's their decision.

Second, you left the name of the company in the post.

Third, if you can't find enough reasons on your own to justify the switch, then you really shouldn't be suggesting it.

^^ That.

You also don't give us any reason based on skill set or position within the company to make us believe that you really know why what you think is best, is the best option. All we can say at this point is "the guy who's email you quoted is right on the money with reasons not to switch".

The reason is well worded.

the parts about call quality degradation etc is valid, but is quite far out of date, it may have been true ten years ago that VOIP phones were a pain, and suffered from terrible problems with jitter stuttering, etc, but as the technology has moved on, and as line speeds have increased it's possible to get quite a few calls routed on a single line.

in the office that I'm in we regularly have five or six people talking on VOIP on a 20MB ADSL line. (with others browsing internet sites, and all of use use remote desktop sessions to connect to other servers, we have our own QoS rules set to prioritise voice)

that being said, for the price of T1 (which is slow by today standards) you may as well get a leased line and a fibre connection, (which is what we did in our last office).
I'm in the UK, but IIRC 100MB dedicated line, presented as CAT 5 was not expensive, (especially as we had enough bandwidth to act as an ISP for other business in the small complex that we were in).

anyway... with regards changing the mind of the architect.
good luck, but it probably won't happen.

the simple reason is that mindsets are difficult to break.
and case studies are often not published.
I could give you an example of a company that the company I work for provides support for, they have an office of hundreds using VOIP on MPLS network (built on DSL lines.)

the trouble is, I can't tell you the name of the company, and without that, it's just a vague rumour on a forum that voip is actually OK/pretty good now.

Without me naming names, or a case study with the CTO of the company saying we use/endorse/recommend this technology... well you get the picture.

you will probably find someone a reasonable and well endorsed case study to refute the arguments about jitter.

but the support argument, (the ISP will basically tell you to do one unless twenty thousand people are cut off) that's the one that'll stick/be difficult to get around.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom