System Tray Icons Slow and Unusable at Startup for 1-2 Minutes, Brand New Laptop!

karling07

Daemon Poster
Hi everyone, annoying problem here--

My laptop, a new HP DV7, is lightning fast in every aspect except for right after login when the system tray icons just appear to remain unresponsive for a full 1-2 minutes.

System tray icons hang at startup:
  1. Wireless: The wireless icon has the red X through it (suggesting that the wireless hadnt loaded yet), when the wireless in fact works just fine for the entire 1-2 minutes that it is X'd out.

2. Power Management: The power management icon (battery), if you click on it to change settings in the first 1-2 minutes, will popup the small power management menu, but not allow you to change any options or click anything (the cursor does that vista circular thinking icon thing)

3. Volume: The volume seems to work the best, but still not well. It lets me change volume, but the volume popup from the tray icon gets stuck open. It will stay open and frozen until the 1-2 minutes pass
    After the 1-2 minutes, everything just seems to start working fine immediately. The wireless icon switches to the correct world icon (even though it had already been working for 2 minutes).

I've tried restoring my computer, running several scans - no infections whatsoever. Funny thing is, if I log off the computer and then log back on, the icons all load fine INSTANTLY. It is only after a reboot

My startup and services are very clean, I'm pretty anal about all that stuff. Those 3 icons I mentioned above are my ONLY system tray icons. I'm so sick of Vista, XP never did this crap to me

Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks

Switch back to XP - I don't like vista. I have seen many computers that do this - it is most likely windows is still loading drivers and services. Go to msconfig and set to diagnostic startup and see if it is any quicker then - if it is quicker then it is a service which is slowing it down.

Mark
www.mhare.com.au

Switch back to XP - I don't like vista. I have seen many computers that do this - it is most likely windows is still loading drivers and services. Go to msconfig and set to diagnostic startup and see if it is any quicker then - if it is quicker then it is a service which is slowing it down.

Mark
www.mhare.com.au

I would but I want to stick with Vista 64 bit to get the full functionality of 64 bit computing! XP 64 bit is WAY too buggy for me, I will give the services thing a shot

EDIT: I tried diagnostic startup, same issue! Any other ideas??

I fixed that on my grandparents' computer by disabling AOL's quick start and going into msconfig and disabling unnecessary startup programs and services.

That computer was running xp.

I fixed that on my grandparents' computer by disabling AOL's quick start and going into msconfig and disabling unnecessary startup programs and services.

That computer was running xp.

Ah bummer, jealous of the XP :p I've got almost everything disabled on startup, and I've tried with everything disabled. Still no luck. And no AOL quick start on the laptop

Thanks though!

Thanks neodude -- I gave that a shot, and also the built in Vista defrag, didn't fix the problem but still good to defrag!

Nothing in startup except Nvidia Driver, Synaptic Pointing Driver, and Google Updater. I've even tried with all these disabled, same thing! Plus, the login/logoff working fine is so weird, b/c startup items are based on user login

Back
Top Bottom