System Specs - Suggestions?

JDR88

Solid State Member
I'm currently on Vaio 1.67 Ghz laptop with 256 RAM which is not suiting my computing needs. I will be doing a lot of Photoshop/Illustrator/GoLive work and gaming. It needs to be a desktop. I was thinking about building a PC, but then I realized it would have no warranty, and I could get into subtle hardware and software issues. I'm capable of doing all the wiring and assembly, I'm just worried it might not be good in the long run. So I decided to look at Dell XPS and Falcon Northwest. I'm trying to keep the system at around $2500, and I have the monitor, mouse, keyboard, and speakers already. Anyways, here's something I set up at Falcon Northwest. I'd appreciate some feedback. I dunno which

ATC-201 Aluminum Mid Tower
Enermax Whisper 350 Watt Power Supply
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe i875P Motherboard
Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHz 800
Coolermaster P-4 HSF
PC3200DDR 1024MB (2pcs 512MB Dimms)
GeForce 6800GT 370MHz Core
Seagate ST3160023AS 160GB 7200RPM SATA
Drive Color (Black)
Sony DRU710A DVD/RW
Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS
AverMedia Ultra TV PCI-550
(total cost $2,531)

Should I stick with the current CPU or get an AMD 64? Would this system be a total ripoff?

That system is a bit steep in price. Go with the faster AMD 64, which is a better value and will better prepare you for the future of 64-bit computing which is on the horizon. Windows 2003 64-bit BETA is out for use. Also you are seriously underpowering the machine with 350watts.. I suggest at least 450watts.

and unless your a hardcore gamer you dont need the Audigy 2 ZS. just go with the Sound Blaster Live! (i have that) or the Audigy Value :)

ATC-201 Aluminum Mid Tower
Enermax Whisper 550 Watt Power Supply
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Asus A8V Deluxe Socket 939
AMD Athlon64 FX-53 Socket 939
Zalman CPU Cooler for Athlon64 and FX Pr
PC3200DDR 1024MB (2pcs 512MB Dimms)
GeForce 6800 Ultra - AGP
Seagate ST3160023AS 160GB 7200RPM SATA
Sony DRU710A DVD/RW
Sound Blaster Live!
AverMedia Ultra TV PCI-550

Change of plan: I'm now going to build the same exact machine myself. The Falcon Northwest site says there a no compatiblity issues, so I think I'm good to go. What does everyone think? Do I need the 550 watt supply?

And when I buy the processor, should I buy the OEM (what does that mean, anyways?), or the one with the heatsink and fan. Could someone also tell me what the heatsink does?

350 Watts is fine. Bigger wattage numbers aren't better, they're just a way to differentiate between PSUs by people who don't really understand the electronics involved. Instead look for sound output (if that's important to you) and reliability. I use Seasonic PSUs--almost completely silent and very well made.

OEM means "original equipment manufacturer" and in this context, the processor aimed at the OEM market will not have a heatsink or fan. If you want to buy a custom heatsink or fan, get the OEM and buy your own heatsink+fan, if you want the total package get that.

The heatsink dissipates heat. Without it your CPU would die in a matter of minutes.

350 watts is not fine! Tell that to my burned out video card. Thank goodness for BFG's lifetime replacement warranty. And believe me this PSU was very reliable and had good ratings. I suggest going with the 550 watt power supply. I managed to get my reliable 480 watt power supply for just $29 at a discount wholesaler. I tested the currents and everything and it is just like every other more expensive one out there.

Also NEVER BUY OEM WHEN BUYING THE 64-BIT AMD. If you put a different fan on it rather then the stock fan, you will lose the warranty. The stock fan is rather quite good I can testify to that.

No offense, but if you are spending $29 on a power supply, I'm not surprised you got burned before.

A decent PSU costs $80-$100.

Lol, seriously nowadays cheaper psu's are the same quality as most high price ones. Cheap qutec ones were build with the same materials and factoy as £80 antec psus! And your 350W statement, wtf are you on you fool.

When buying components, what are the best places to buy things for the lowest possible prices?

Back
Top Bottom