System Specs - Suggestions?

And on the subject of video cards:

Which card (Radeon X800 or GeForce 6800) would each of you pick and why?

Also, is it worth it to buy the the respective XT and Ultra versions of the cards? Or will the lower models be good enough for my needs. I'll be doing a lot of Photoshop/Illustrator/GoLive work and gaming (Half-Life 2)

And are there any monitors out there I can double as a TV? I mean input for Xbox.

inimino said:
No offense, but if you are spending $29 on a power supply, I'm not surprised you got burned before.

A decent PSU costs $80-$100.

You dude are an idiot. No offense. I spent $89 on the last power supply. This one is working fine and I have software to test it. I'm surprised you haven't run into a glass door. Besides this one I got was originally $79.95, and someone I know works for a wholesaler and got me something good. You just like for people to waste money unnecessarily.

camers said:
Lol, seriously nowadays cheaper psu's are the same quality as most high price ones. Cheap qutec ones were build with the same materials and factoy as £80 antec psus!

You just made it embarrassingly obvious that you know next to nothing about the topic. Do you know anything about the electronics that go into a power supply?

Hard as it apparently is for you to grasp, there's often a reason why one unit is more expensive than another! Here's a little gem of wisdom for you: better PSUs made of better parts cost more money to manufacture. Cheap ones are cheaply made.

Search the Web and read about power supplies for a while, OK? Then you can come back here and explain what you've learned, and you might be able to actually contribute something of value to the thread.

And your 350W statement, wtf are you on you fool.

Did someone forget to take his meds? Please -- find a clue first, talk after.

You can run Athlon 64 systems with more than one hard drive on 300 Watt power supplies.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article28-page1.html
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=3075
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=9733

If you bother to reply, please actually read the above links first. Then you can come back here and explain how you really didn't understand the issues before, but now you do.

The sad thing is, you come off sounding like you know something, and that's misleading to the original poster. So in the future, try to do some research before trying to sound like an authority, okay?

Giancarlo said:
You dude are an idiot. No offense. I spent $89 on the last power supply. This one is working fine and I have software to test it. I'm surprised you haven't run into a glass door. Besides this one I got was originally $79.95, and someone I know works for a wholesaler and got me something good. You just like for people to waste money unnecessarily.

Hate to tell you this, but you can't test a PSU with software. The motherboard may monitor voltage for you, and that alone tell you... almost nothing of value. The only meaningful power supply tests involve specialized hardware.

If you want to go to any of the hardware review sites online, you'll find that the $29.99 power supplies are generally shit. In your case, it sounds like you got a good deal, because you know someone, and that's a different story.

As for your personal comments, please grow up. If you can't have a civil discussion, then people who know more than you do will quickly learn to just ignore you, rather than trying to explain things to you.

When I buy the video card, what manufacturer should I buy from (Asus, Gainward, BFG etc)? What type of interface should it have? I'm looking on NewEgg and there are a lot of options that I don't understand. Could anyone find me the GeForce 6800 GT I'm looking for?

Back
Top Bottom