System Requirements for GTX 260 SLI/Tri Sli? (mainly PSU?)

vaio-fx

Daemon Poster
I recently upgraded my PC to a Core i7 950 (so ram and motherboard too). I now feel that the GPU is holding my system back a bit (GTX 260 XXX Edition). I purchased a GTX 470, thinking it would be a good replacement, however when it arrived I was thoroughly disappointed, it was by far the loudest video card I have ever experienced (my 260 is silent even on load), even turning up my speakers really quite loud wouldnt drown it out, it was also a very hot card and didn't seem to bring enough improvements to justify the noise (and expense of over £200), so I sent it back for a refund. I did do research on the card before hand and had read that it was noisy and hot, but never realised quite how bad it would be.

Anyway, I still want to improve my system's graphics. I looked at the 5870, but thats £280 and also without sounding too much like some fan boy, my personal preference would always be nvidia. So I have been considering SLI'ing my 260. My motherboard supports it, but would it be a decent enough improvement and what sort of PSU would be required, firstly for 2 way SLI and then for 3 way? Thanks for any advice.

You can get an ATI HD5830, and for that it recommends a 500w psu.

I have a 5830 and i can run all games max, plus, you can get it for £140

Your 260 was already plenty of power. Even if your playing crysis. Seems you've wasted a purchase. And you should manually lower the Gpu fan speed to lower the sound of the card.

Thanks for the replies. The 470 was returned and refunded, therefore not a wasted purchase as I'm not out of pocket. The 260 is a very good card, however, I can no longer max out every game like I used to be able to, therefore it needs upgrading/going SLI. Also a 260 isnt really plenty of power when playing at 1920x1200. A 470 would not have been a wasted purchase had the noise been even remotely bearable, manually lowering the fanspeed was not an option seeing as it was already ridiculously hot at the stock speeds. Also many people upgrade their GPU to keep up to date with the times, a friend of mine for example upgraded from his 4870X2 to a 5970 so I don't see upgrading the 260 as unecessary, its a mid range card from last gen. Anyway all I wanted to know was what sort of PSU would be required if I were to go SLI lol...

I know all of this. Hence the Rep lol. And a 5970 is a waste IMHO.

An id say a psu with 900w and 65A to be plenty. Look at antec or OCZ, also corsair.

I wasn't insulting your knowledge lol, just explaining why I'd like to upgrade. Yeah a 5970 is a bit overkill. Thanks for the advice, I'm just gunna go have a look into some benchmarks and prices now and make my decision.

Back
Top Bottom