System powers off when trying to start Windows 7 during reinstall ?

arsenalbates

Daemon Poster
I have a dekstop machine that everytime it goes to reboot (after the installation, extraction of windows files) that very first reboot when it starts to read the data from the hard drive the system just powers off, Its says starting windows for about 1 second then it goes. Dont even get the little windows start logo.

I have tested RAM and used a known working piece in all 4 slots

I have reset BIOS

I have changed the PSU

Removed all hardware apart from basics

And changed the sata cable

Any ideas

Bios is set to ACHI ?

Sounds like it might be software related. Does it work if you turn it back on after that?

Nope, Its a brand new hard drive in aswel.

Im just trying to install on an laptop drive to see if the drive had problems

Yes, but it could be a corrupt install or something causing it.

Does it come back on the 2nd time you try after that initial shutdown?

no. it loops. comes up after the shutdown with start windows normally, safe mode etc and the when you hit any of them it shows the starting windows for a few secs and then restarts.

I am burning a new copy onto a new disk as we speak so I shall let you know how i get on

No, same disk new copy didnt work still.

Im installing 64 bit on the dell Inspiron 560 which according to drivers and specs is 64 bit compatibile. Trying a new windows 7 install source now. then i shall try installing in 32bit. After that im completely confused

I'm confused by your posts.

Did you use the same dvd on the dell and the laptop hard drive? And then did you burn a different dvd with the same iso image?

If so then my guess is there's something in the iso image that's causing the problem. It sounds like you have that figured out too and are now using a different iso to make a new dvd to try with?

In other words:
DVD1 & Image1 - Didn't work
DVD2 & Image1 - Didn't work
DVD3 & Image2 - Worked (??)

correct.

I tried reburning the same iso onto a new disk - that failed

Then i tried burning and installing a new iso onto a new disk - also failed

Then i realised that it was nothing to do with the installation media but instead the architecture I was installing. Been using and trying to install 64bit OS on hardware that does not support it.

all sorted now :) thanks for the input though.

smiley-vault-signs-120.gif

No worries. At least DVD's don't cost that much...:facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom