System Issues, Overheating CPU?

magnetking2000

Beta member
I have recently been having some problems with my system. I built it about three years ago and it has run great, with a few exceptions along the way. Right now I am having problems with my audio and I think it is stemming from my CPU overheating. The problem itself is that at first my headset would not work at all, so I disassembled the system, cleaned off all the contacts and rebuilt it. Then I reinstalled the Realtek audio drivers. My headset speakers now work, but I can not get the microphone to work. My regular speakers work well also. My system is running at 34°C, but my processor is running at 80°C. It is using the original heatsink and fan that it came with. It has been running fine these past few years, but now it is giving me problems. I am considering replacing the heatsink with a better aftermarket one, or possibly even liquid cooling. Am I headed in the general right direction, or are there other things I should be looking at? I am willing to supply any and all information necessary to get help with this. Here are my system specifications.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard: ASUS P5N-D LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
Memory: (2) OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2N800SR4GK
Graphics: EVGA 512-P3-N861-AR GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI
HDD: 500GB 7200 RPM WDC WD50 01AALS-00L3B SCSI
HDD: 640GB 7200 RPM WDC WD64 00AAKS-22A7B SCSI
Case: Antec Nine Hundred
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V
CD/DVD:

I will start looking at those coolers. Is my running temperature normal? I mean, I would like to think I know a lot about computers, I've built four of them now, but I don't want to end up going overboard with any additions to this one, after all I will be replacing it in 2 years. Do you think a cooler like one of those you mentioned will decrease my CPU temp significantly? Possibly down to the acceptable 71°C range as stated in the Intel spec sheets?

I looked up those fans you recommended, would you say one is better than the other? The Coolermaster V8 looks like it would do a better job, or maybe thats just me thinking it would look cooler. I found the Freezer Pro 7 on Newegg.com for $30 free shipping, and the Coolermaster V8 for $51 at Buy.com. I've never looked into aftermarket fans (which could be my initial problem), what specs should I be looking at when comparing?

That makes me feel a lot better. It's reached up to 110 C then shuts off so stopped playing world of Warcraft as of yesterday until I can get the cooling issue taken care of so I don't damage anything. Average runs about 75C so I'm hoping to berths same results as you with about 20C drop. Do you think I could have damaged anything by using the stock for almost three years and running it intensely?

as long as it hasnt actively been overheating and shutting down for too long it should be fine.

Once it starts to overheat regularly and multiple times in a row is when damage occurs. I've only had a PSU burn out of me before so i cant talk much from experience, but the smell was pretty horrid.

I also echo what Darkseeker is saying - the Freezer 7 Pro is an amazing heatsink, and I've used the AMD counterpart for years (actually, thinking about it, my internet router box uses one on the Pentium 4 I have inside, and it's solid)

Liquid cooling isn't necessary if you're not a heavy user / overclocker, so don't bother with the expense unless you're sure that you want to try it out (it can be fun.)

The other thing to consider is what the original compound on that heatsink was - was it the thermal pad or was it a TIM (Thermal Interface Material) such as Arctic Silver / Ceramique / Some other white substance. If a PC is used steadily for years and the CPU temp gets high, either the TIM has dried, or as I've noticed with the Intel systems here at work, the mounting mechanism for the default Intel heatsinks tends to give up along the line at some point. I just ran into a system like that recently, and it was a much slower Core 2 Duo that was idling at 86°C. The user was having a ton of audio, mouse and performance issues. I cleaned up the CPU, replaced it with an identical heatsink and now it idles around 36°C. Also make sure to dust the heatsink off if you haven't already.

It should be noted that most folks will see your current CPU temp and freak out. The Intel chips are capable of running at up to 100°C before they autothrottle themselves down (thus resulting in problems like missed audio, etc) and they don't actually start to suffer damage until about 110-115°C.

But definitely look at getting yourself a Freezer 7, or if you want to go the Extreme end of things, a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ (about $40) and it fits AM2, AM3, and Intel 1366 & 1155/6. It does an amazing job on my Phenom II X6, keeping load temps (yes, LOAD temps) to about 40°C.

Oh, and your power supply is fine. Probably more than you need at this point. I use the 850 watt version in my main PC.

Back
Top Bottom