System hangs when booting winXP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lintal

Baseband Member
Ok..
I have a computer that dual boots winXP with Linux Mandrake.

Sometimes, when booting XP, the system hangs and restarts itself before it can reach the login screen...

N.B. Linux has no problem at all

however, I can usualy resolve this by going into the BIOS, looking through the settings and resaving the details...

Is this as a result of a hardware issue (anyone have any suggestions?)

Specs:
P4 3.6GH (pentium 550)
ABTI AS8 MOBO
1GB DDR RAM (PC3200 [400MHz])
PowerColour ATI Radion (256MB)
BTvoyager 1040 wireless card
Cd drive
DVD drive/writer
200GB SATA HDD
etc...

[Have added a second wireless card for use with the NDS]

Sounds like you're having a driver issue, Did this always happen. Have you added new hardware, which may have caused this to occur? Have you tried booting into safe mode?

It doesn't always happen... and, although I have added new hardware to it (just yesterday), it can happen any time (But it doesn't happen everytime I try booting winXP). Therefore, I don't think its to do with any new hardware I've added since I made it.
And no, I haven't tried booting in safe mode.

Furthur to the above post, It happened again today, and my technique of re-saving the BIOS didn't work...
In the end, I used a bootable windows CD (which worked), and then, supprisingly, my winXP installation worked OK again [it seems to have fixed it for the moment :) ] But I don't know how long it will last.

Soon, however, I will be changing winXP home for Pro, so i might just do a clean install

Well, I have now managed to stop XP running permantly, and I don't know how I did it :confused: ... Linux still works though :D
And I did try running XP in safe mode... well, it didn't even get to loading the OS :(

Well, I guess its time to start again from scratch (reload the OSes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom