system hangs after resume from standby

turkeygiblets10

Beta member
hi can anyone help me i have winxp pro sp2, and when i resume from standby my system justs shut down and then i have to unplug my pc and wait 10 secs to plug it back in for the pc to start again.
my power settings are screensaver after 5 mins with password, monitor off in 45 mins and system standby after 1 hour.
its when it goes past the hour if i try to resume it the screen is blank and there is something loading on my pc but the it justs shut down.
can anyone help, i've tried searching everywhere but i cant find out how to fix this
any help would be great and thanks very much in advance if you can
cheers
phil

Hmm that is an interesting question... never seen that before. I would like to see the replys on this as well.

It could be related to a fualty power supply. When in standby, the computer is using little power, then when it trys to wake up, it's pulling voltage, which the PS cannot handle. The time the computer is in standby, the PS is still active. This could explain why you have to unplug it, and wait a few seconds. How large a power supply is it, and how much hardware do you have attached, i.e. CD ROM, Floppy, how many Hard Drives, etc. If you keep having problems out of it, you may want to keep the computer from going into standby- that's only a short-term solution, as I believe the power supply is on its way out.

theres only my pc and monitor hooked up, i just opened up my bios and in the power management under acpi i think it said it was enabled but in the power management bit it said that suspend and doze and some other were disabled.
i set the suspend here to 1 hour. should i set the suspend in winxp off or can i leave it the way it is at one hour, will the bios override the xp one or can i disable one of them?
thanks for reply

a better way to handle it might be to put the computer in "hibernate" mode instead of standby.

Back
Top Bottom