system freezes when usb sticks are plugged in

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
so my system started freezing
like i couldnt even move the mouse pointer without it freezing constantly and skipping around the screen
ran antivirus anti malware disk check etc. basically looked at everything and scanned everything and terminated suspicious apps and it would stop for few seconds and come right back to freezing

then i remember that i had 2 thumb drives and one sd card plugged in

removed all of them and its back to normal
the thumb drives are all normally functioning not damaged or corrupted. i have one that is corrupted but the ones plugged in were good
sd card was from android phone
the 2 usb drives are music drives from car

i also have an external drive plugged in all the time and it has no issues
never seen this before.

One of the USB sticks or the SD could be going bad, or your USB driver may be getting flaky. My wife had a USB mouse that went bad and was making her system act all kinds of wonky once.

Try updating the USB driver from your mobo manufacturer and then try plugging up on USB device at a time and see if any of them are the culprit.

still happening
not as much but it is still choppy for some reason
no usb deves are pugged in now.
but few random apps spike in cpu and gpu and disk usage randomly
i scanned and checked everything again it is a fresh windows install and now im not sure if the usb sticks were the cause or just added load to an existing problem that started at the same time

what else can i check?
resource monitor doesnt point to any specific file as a cause
is there something more detailed than resource monitor to show more live data on the system and whats happening currently?

if this is a fresh install, then it is most likely Microsoft calling home to see what you need for updates, that alone will spike your drive and cpu. Let it run for a day and install all the updates

it is windows 11 lol

but overall it feels less stable. i can feel gears grinding and struggling sometimes even though its higher specs in everything

my old hp that i have listed in my profile can still walk circles around this pc in multitasking and "taking a load" lol

the new pc is a dell xps 8940 with 32gb ram 1650 super i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz and nvme drive

so technically it should handle extreme chad multitasking better but it shows some artifacts and just slightly crumbles under load when old one would pull through

it is windows 11 lol

but overall it feels less stable. i can feel gears grinding and struggling sometimes even though its higher specs
I think you answered you own question....Have you tried going back to using Windows 10 to see if there is any differences?

could faulty graphics card cause this?
i feel like the gtx 1650 is being a lil 8itch
my old 1050s were beastly and hella stable for some reason. even with windows 11. i loaded up those systems beyond capacity for about 5 years daily and never crashed.
this system feels weak even though its new(ish)

Here you are a bit wrong, Windows 11 is very stable, it does not work absolutely stably.
Nothing works stable.
But that's probably not the main reason, although you might want to install a working OS, or at least one that has stable drivers.

Dust or Rust on the internal parts or the connecting points of your USB ports can also lead to improper connection and freezing of your computer when you plug a USB cable or drive. Disabled and outdated Drivers or Locked Ports can also be another reason for the malfunctioning of your USB Ports.

Greetings,
Peter

Back
Top Bottom