System Doesn't Boot when Turned On

Equinox

Solid State Member
Hi, I am new to computer forums. I dropped by to see if anyone can help me with a problem I've had for a couple weeks.
I was playing GTA IV and my power supply died because it wouldn't turn my computer back on. I replaced the power supply today with a brand new Cooler Master 700W power supply. Now my computer turns in, but I don't see anything on the screen or head the usual 'beep' from the motherboard.
My system specs are: MSI 880GM-e35, 4th ddr3, Radeon 6870, AMD Phenom II X4 quad core, and a 500GB hard drive.
Please if anyone knows what is wrong or something I am not doing right, please let me know. Thanks.

It's entirely possible that when the power supply died, it took something else out with it (motherboard usually, rarely the processor and RAM too)

The best thing you can do is disconnect the power from the board (both the 20 pin and 4/8 pin) and then remove the battery from the board and let it sit for a couple hours. You can also short the BIOS pins to reset the BIOS, but I'd still leave the power disconnected just to get everything covered. You can also reseat the memory and Video card if you're feeling overly productive.

Hold in the power button for 15 seconds, then put the battery back in, and plug the power back in. If it doesn't boot after that, start shopping for a new motherboard.

What was the old power supply?

The old power supply came with my old case, the Tricod Console, it was 500W. I have replaced the motherboard and nothing works yet. The ram I know works because I used another set of Ram from an HP I have. The video card is okay because I even tried booting without the video card. My best net now is that it is the processor.

Could be. Processors are hardy little things. But put a no name PSU into the mix and all bets are off. Sucky.

[Solved]
I bought a new processor at Frys. I RMA'd the old one. Everything works great now.

Back
Top Bottom