Synology Access & Troubleshooting

Paul Kinyanjui

Baseband Member
Hi guys,

So I am slightly new at Synology and would appreciate someone with some tech experience on this.
1. How is it possibly for someone to connect to Synology server and troubleshoot the yellow blinking light that appears on the status? I started receiving the error messages when I tried to switch the drives.

Also, if at all the back of the device has only one ethernet port, how is it possible to access it and manage the device remotely? My device model is DS214play

Blinking light means the array has an issue, probably because you messed with the drives.

You need to find the IP of the device and type that in your browser from a machine that is on the same network. You'll need username and password to get into it. To access files off the device you need to create shares.

Thank you PP
I managed to log in and do some scrubbing so all the parity has been restored.
I might need help on maybe three other things and your input will be highly appreciated.
1. I need to remotely manage the Synology from elsewhere and I do not know how exactly to go about it.
2. How do I go about adding the synology server to an existing domain and what happens to new users/accounts that had already been created on the server that contains the main DC.

Thanks in advance

Also, while we are at it.
How does a user get to log in to a windows device the same way you have a windows server set up using their user account, only this time using synology as the server?

1. I need to remotely manage the Synology from elsewhere and I do not know how exactly to go about it.
VPN to that network is the easiest solution. You don't want to make your entire NAS if it's business related open to the outside.
2. How do I go about adding the synology server to an existing domain and what happens to new users/accounts that had already been created on the server that contains the main DC.
I've never added a 3rd party NAS device to a domain before, you need to reference this if it's applicable to your device.
https://kb.synology.com/en-ca/DSM/help/DSM/AdminCenter/file_directory_service_join?version=7
As to the last part, not sure what you mean. Depending on how you have your NAS setup it should/might have local users to access files from that device. If you add it to a domain I assume those local users either get wiped and new permissions need to be set, or they retain and you need to add domain level access on the NAS like you did local users. Adding the NAS to the domain is like adding any other machine.
How does a user get to log in to a windows device the same way you have a windows server set up using their user account, only this time using synology as the server?
The NAS is nothing more than file storage, you wouldn't use this as a server. Unless I'm misunderstanding your question. I assume you mean how do you allow domain users to log into the NAS like you would a Windows machine? Not sure you'd want to do that. You need to set file sharing permissions to domain users like you would local users. You could even make it easier and create an OU just for NAS access and add users to that to make domain level access cleaner.

I'm assuming there's a language/translator barrier so bear with me on the questions and assumptions.

The NAS is nothing more than file storage, you wouldn't use this as a server. Unless I'm misunderstanding your question. I assume you mean how do you allow domain users to log into the NAS like you would a Windows machine? Not sure you'd want to do that. You need to set file sharing permissions to domain users like you would local users. You could even make it easier and create an OU just for NAS access and add users to that to make domain level access cleaner.

I'm assuming there's a language/translator barrier so bear with me on the questions and assumptions.
There is no language barrier but I hope I can structure my concerns a little more clearly.
Somehow, I have understood the explanation but I have some other concerns as well. I tried searching for the active directory on my package but could not find it. The exact package or app I searched for was synology directory. Now I have made an update to the system and can't still seem to see it. I wanted to have it so that I am able to join an existing domain/ or server on another site. Might you be having a solution to this?

Where I get stuck is after creating the shared folders and tried to share them on the windows PC. I use the admin credentials of the synology NAS but cannit seem to map the drive.

I wanted to have it so that I am able to join an existing domain/ or server on another site.
You'll need site to site VPN to achieve this, otherwise the NAS cannot communicate with the DC on the other site.
Where I get stuck is after creating the shared folders and tried to share them on the windows PC.
The shares need to be created and shared off the NAS, not proxied via Windows share through a PC. If this is a domain controlled environment then don't create any shares on the NAS until it's connected to the DC otherwise AD credentials won't work for other PCs when attempting to reach those shares.

This
VPN to that network is the easiest solution. You don't want to make your entire NAS if it's business related open to the outside.
This would mean getting in touch with my service provider?
You'll need site to site VPN to achieve this, otherwise the NAS cannot communicate with the DC on the other site.

The shares need to be created and shared off the NAS, not proxied via Windows share through a PC. If this is a domain controlled environment then don't create any shares on the NAS until it's connected to the DC otherwise AD credentials won't work for other PCs when attempting to reach those shares.
What alternative would I have if I was to create an isolated environment on the NAS with its own domain? it is still possible to map the shared drives on the windows client machines and allow them to have access to the shared folder?

This would mean getting in touch with my service provider?
No, they wouldn't be able to help you. You need to get in touch with whoever is the IT lead or management, networking/security etc to establish a site to site setup so they can get that multi-site AD-DC thing square. Because without it, whoever is on the other site won't be able to access the NAS either if it's required.
What alternative would I have if I was to create an isolated environment on the NAS with its own domain? it is still possible to map the shared drives on the windows client machines and allow them to have access to the shared folder?
Well the NAS isn't a domain controller, it would need to be setup like any other consumer device with local permissions set to the NAS, then use those credentials to map the network drives from within Windows when prompted for username and password (select use other login credentials during mapping process).

No, they wouldn't be able to help you. You need to get in touch with whoever is the IT lead or management, networking/security etc to establish a site to site setup so they can get that multi-site AD-DC thing square. Because without it, whoever is on the other site won't be able to access the NAS either if it's required.

Well the NAS isn't a domain controller, it would need to be setup like any other consumer device with local permissions set to the NAS, then use those credentials to map the network drives from within Windows when prompted for username and password (select use other login credentials during mapping process).
I was able to do this successfully today thanks to you. However I was just thinking, is there a way to map the shared drive in such a way that users do not have to manually transfer files into the Shared folder every now and then? Instead, they continue working on their device and it mirrors directly onto the NAS. I don't know if you get my concern.

Back
Top Bottom