Sync Gmail Contacts with Thunderbird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Most users that I know have several email accounts at various email providers. I'm using about ten email accounts actively in Thunderbird and web interfaces and always thought that there must be a way to sync the contact information. Late last night I discovered the Zindus (via Download Squad) Thunderbird extension which syncs the Gmail (and Google Reader, Google Calendar) contacts with the Thunderbird address book.
The Thunderbird add-on can be installed as usual by downloading the file to the computer and installing it from the Tools > Add-ons menu in Thunderbird. Before it can be used it has to be configured. It actually provides two different possibilities to sync the contacts. Both, Google and Zimbra, require a server address, username and password to function properly. I cannot really say much about Zimbra because I've never heard about it before. It seems to be a service that gives access to several mail accounts in one interface.
After adding the required information a test connection can be used to see if the connection to the server is successful. By default auto sync is enabled which means that the contacts will automatically be synced.
sync-google-contacts-with.png

Please note that syncing means that both the Gmail account as well as the Thunderbird address book will contain the same contacts in the end. Auto Sync is trigged by two parameters that can be configured in the Thunderbird config (Tools > Options > Advanced > Config Editor), they are:
  • extensions.zindus.system.as_timer_delay_on_start - the number of seconds after startup
  • extensions.zindus.system.as_timer_delay_on_repeat - the number of seconds after the first auto-sync
The following information are synced between Gmail and Thunderbird:
  • Full Name
  • Primary Email address and Second Email address
  • Phone Numbers: Home, Work, Work Fax, Pager, Mobile
  • Instant Messaging (AIM)
  • Company and Title
  • Notes
Zindus is compatible to the latest official version of Thunderbird and Thunderbird 3 alpha.

Sync Gmail Contacts with Thunderbird

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom