Switching video cards...

EcLiPsE

In Runtime
I have a integraded card (Radeon x200) and I am getting ready to put in a x1950pro. What do I need to do if anything to the integrated one? Can I just put in the x1950pro and plug my monitor into it? Or.... what??? Thanks.

That's all you do. Then install drivers for it (usually, there's a CD that comes with it or you can go online to ATi's website).

sweet someone said i needed to shut down the other one or it would confuse my mobo or something. Or affect the performance of my new card.

Hmmm, shut it down? If it was me, here's what I would do:

Turn off PC. Take out the monitor cable from the back of the motherboard. Open case panel. Insert new video card, screw it in, connect power if necessary. Close panel. Plug monitor cable to back of new video card. Power on. Wait to boot into Windows. Install video drivers. Change video settings as needed to personal taste.

dont forget to go to ur BIOS and change ur primary video adapter to APG or PCIe what ever one u got of your X1950
it shud say onbaord change that

ok, cool. Thats what I figured but I am ventureing into uncharted waters here. Not to mention I am going to void my warranty lol. Oh well who needs em. I am going to have a few questions for you guys when it comes to bios and stuff. I dealt with it a LITTLE on my old computer but not enough to know exactly what I am doing.

No its a gateway I got it at best buy cause it was a good package deal. I got the monitor, pc, keyboard, mouse, speakers for a little over 900.

CaneBaller said:
dont forget to go to ur BIOS and change ur primary video adapter to APG or PCIe what ever one u got of your X1950
it shud say onbaord change that

You shouldn't have to do that, it should automatically ignore the onboard video once the new card is installed. I'm on a Gateway, and I never did it.

like freestyler said, all the newer comptuer automatically detect that something is in teh graphics slot and will default to that. older comptuers was a different story, but his should be just fine.

Back
Top Bottom