Switching parts between computers

netmanx

Beta member
I have two computers, one is running XP, is very outdated and has only basic hardware (uses integrated graphics), my other one is a linux and is alot more up to date and has hardware that i think are suitable for gaming which is what i want to do (but cant because it is a linux and the games i want to play are not wine compatible).

What i want to do is to basically get windows XP on the good computer and linux on the bad.

I do not have a key or cd for either of them because the ones for my XP have been misplaced and the linux was a gift. Because ive never done something like this before im thinking that if i were to make a backup of the OS's, burn them onto cd's and install them on opposite computers it may require me to have the keys or something like that.

Another idea is to just switch the hard drives but unless im mistaken i think i read somewhere that because the rest of the hardware is different the OS would ask for a key or something like that.

my only other idea is to uninstall and remove things like the graphics cards on the good computer and then switch the motherboards and then reinstall the other hardware. this way the OS would only have to recognise a couple things at a time. Would this be the easiest way of going about this? or would using the first method be the easiest without requiring original cd's or keys?

edit: also if it matters what my hardware is exactly i can post the specs

if you just swap the hard drives?
that will work if you want linux on the old computer and xp on the slightly newer one.
but if you want both on both computers is that what you were asking?

no, thats what i would like, i dont need either of my computers to have multiple OS's.

just swapping the hard drives definitely wont give me any grief with the keys or hardware, etc.?

should of known it wouldnt be this easy, as far as i can tell the motherboard and the hard drive in the good computer have sata cables and my other computer has ide hard drive and motherboard, so is getting an adapter to go from sata to ide my best bet?

The Linux hard drive will work fine in the other computer, I am sure. However, the Windows drive might take exception to you changing the motherboard on it....

Before swapping out the Windows drive, go into System Properties, Hardware, and remove the drives for the hard drive(s) and any motherboard-specific drivers.. You'll have a better chance of it booting up in the new system that way.

Back
Top Bottom