Switching Between a MacBook and PC While Using the Same Screen. Need Help!

kac808

Beta member
Ok guys my girlfriend has a situation... Her job requires her to use both an Apple MacBook and a PC. She currently the 2 screens and 2 keyboards. Due to security reasons the MacBook and PC cannot be networked at this time. Now for my question... Is there a way to allow her to use a single key board and single screen for both units. She has heard that there is a way to toggle between the 2 systems, but we have had trouble finding more detailed information on this. She would preferably like to use her Mac screen with her MacBook closed and be able to work with the PC as well. Does anybody have any suggestions or recommendations. Any help and insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Check the connection on your monitor, if it's dvi then the kvm I gave won't work, it has to be vga.

DVI kvm switches are a lot more expensive than vga ones so you need to check that.

Also you should be aware that your video signal will be degraded just a little bit when you use a kvm switch. It's just due to the fact that there is extra cabling and a couple more connections instead of the direct cable from the pc to the monitor. Anytime you add connectors to a cable the signal will be degraded.

You'll be using Mini DisplayPort from your MacBook, so you'll need to purchase an additional adapter to convert that to VGA.

Check the connection on your monitor, if it's dvi then the kvm I gave won't work, it has to be vga.

DVI kvm switches are a lot more expensive than vga ones so you need to check that.

Also you should be aware that your video signal will be degraded just a little bit when you use a kvm switch. It's just due to the fact that there is extra cabling and a couple more connections instead of the direct cable from the pc to the monitor. Anytime you add connectors to a cable the signal will be degraded.

She doesn't care much if the video signal is degraded so no big deal there.

Do you know where we can get that DVI kvm switch from? Is that something sold regularly? The guys at Best Buy didn't seem to know how to work this problem.

Thanks again for the help.

Back
Top Bottom