Swapping PCI vid card to AGP and get Check Signal message. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leb7285

Solid State Member
So, I have a new FX Dominator 5500 AGP 8x/4x video card. Replacing a PCI Rage 3D IIC. Installed AGP card, got "Check Signal" message. My questions are as follows:

1. Do I need to Uninstall Driver for PCI card in Device Manager?
2. In the event I am unable to install the AGP card, can I just go back to Device Manager and click on "Update Driver" to reinstall the PCI card? Or do I need to download driver from the ATI website? Reason I ask this, is I could not find the specific driver there. Only options on ATI/Drivers for XP are Rage 128/128 Pro, Rage Pro and Rage XL. But not my IIC.
3. After I uninstall driver for PCI card, do I need to go into BIOS and tell it under Integrated Peripherals/Init Display First and change from PCI to AGP? Or should that change automatically when I plug in AGP card.
4. I bought a 8x/4x card because the guy at the computer store said it would work with my AGP 4x. Is this true?
5. Lastly, when I go into BIOS/Advanced Chipset Features/AGP & P2P Bridge Control, my two options are 2X and 1X. Shouldn't this be 4x if that is what the box for the mobo says?

If you are reading this and can answer any or all of these questions, that would be so cool!!! TIA

Hi

1.Yes
2.Should have disk with drivers. If not try this.check it first.
http://ftp.iasi.roedu.net/Drivers/Video/Ati/Rage IIC/w82560en.exe
3.It should change but its best to check just in case.
4.It should work alright.
5.Yes Check in your bios and make sure its set to 4X. It might be set wrong...
I scanned this file its virus free but just not sure if its the right one.It says it is. But you ll know soon enough if it isn't let me know ill look some more...

I have the same card as you and I'm using it currently.

No you don't have you install new drivers, Windows XP has them automatically configured. Weird huh?

Reason its saying check signal is because in your bios you have an option of choosing which display adapter you want to use. Boot your computer up with both of them and then choose which adapter you want to use from BIOS, then remove the video card you dont want.

My card works! My card works!! I removed the driver for the old card, changed the display in BIOS to AGP from PCI, reinstalled the new card and it works.

Thank you, oh technical ones, for sharing your knowledge!!

beth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom