Swapping my GFX card to my new build

Roblackpool

Baseband Member
As many of you know from my lengthy post, i'm building my first ever PC. My current PC has an in-built gfx card on the m-board, which is okay for a lot of simple games, web browsing, word processing etc. which is what i'm keeping my old pc for. I upgraded the GFX card to an 8800gts, which I want to transfer for my new build to reduce cost. If i simply turn off the pc, remove the new gfx card, and turn the pc back on, will it automatically revert back to using the onboard card? Or is there anything I need to do to make sure the computer continues to work?

Make sure that you enable your on-board VGA from your BIOS. In some cases if it's disabled you'll need another video card to re-enable it.

As many of you know from my lengthy post, i'm building my first ever PC. My current PC has an in-built gfx card on the m-board, which is okay for a lot of simple games, web browsing, word processing etc. which is what i'm keeping my old pc for. I upgraded the GFX card to an 8800gts, which I want to transfer for my new build to reduce cost. If i simply turn off the pc, remove the new gfx card, and turn the pc back on, will it automatically revert back to using the onboard card? Or is there anything I need to do to make sure the computer continues to work?

take the video card out and then restart the computer, if your video works then obviously everything is cool, if not check your bios, there may be an option to re-enable your onboard graphics, I'm not sure though, I've never had onboard graphics in any of my builds...

Don't worry, as long as you plug the monitor into the onboard video, it should reset fine.

If the worse comes to the worse, you can just reset your BIOS manually which takes 5 min max. I'll explain how to do this if you need to know.

Don't worry, as long as you plug the monitor into the onboard video, it should reset fine.

If the worse comes to the worse, you can just reset your BIOS manually which takes 5 min max. I'll explain how to do this if you need to know.

Well he needs to know. So, all he'd have to do is yank the battery.

If I remove the graphics card, and the on-board one doesnt reset, will I still be able to view things enough to get on to reset the bios?

If I remove the graphics card, and the on-board one doesnt reset, will I still be able to view things enough to get on to reset the bios?
To reset the BIOS, all you have to do is turn of the system, leave the power cord plugged into the socket for earth, ground yourself by touching the case, remove the BIOS battery (little round flat one), and put it back in 5 min time. Power the system back on and the BIOS will have reset.

Back
Top Bottom