Suspected processor failure...Help Plz

I thought processors turned off when they got too hot to prevent them from frying

I'm not sure about AMD, but Intels do a few different things. First they'll slow down, then it either freezes, or shuts the computer down (It could be possible for the fans to still be spinning though)

Thanks for the advice gentlemen. I've discovered that the 4-pin connection to the motherboard is fried, yellow tarnishing and all. Oddly enough it didn't emit smoke or a smell, it just melted. Even more surprising is that it was my 1000w Antec true power PSU that cause all this. Now I have to warranty my PSU and get a new mobo (unless antec covers damage caused by their products)

(10 minutes later...)

Woah horrible design. Apparently the "4-pin" motherboard connection has a black cap over the other 4 pins for an optional 8-pin configuration not mentioned in the manual. Given the motherboard itself is the same shade of black I had no clue that was there. Perhaps to much voltage through to little of a surface area.I now blame ASUS! (or my lack of investigative skills >.>" )

Back
Top Bottom