Surprise SSD gift

Lockwood

Beta member
Greetings.

So. 14 days ago I was pleasantly surprised(and mildly confused) to be gifted a new SSD, specifically a Kingston A2000 nvme m.2 PCIe SSD (https://www.kingston.com/denmark/en/ssd/a2000-nvme-pcie-ssd)

Now I was of course quite grateful, I mean a free SSD?
However, my PC is an old ACER Predator G3-605
(https://business.currys.co.uk/catal...r-core-i5-4440-3-1-ghz-8-gb-hdd-1-tb/P182541P) Mine is actually older than the one from the url, it's a dual core i5 instead of a quad and came with 12gb ram instead of 8.

Basically a minimalist cheap "gamer" PC, the motherboard has 3 pci slots, 1 PCIe x16, 1 PCIe x1 and PCIe x2. The X16 is of course used for the graphics card and tbh I have no idea what if anything the x1 and x2 slots are for.

So here's my issue, what adapter would I need to make use of the SSD?

Feedback/recommendations greatly appreciated.

They do make PCIe adapters for your drive (although I think that it ought to be in an X16 slot) you'll have to check to see if your pc would boot from a PCIe slot to begin with before you do anything else

Adapter like this one

Last edited:
If your 2x slot isn't open ended an adapter unfortunately wouldn't work. As Joe said, you'd have to see if it would even boot from the drive even if the slot is open ended and you could fit the adapter.

The only alternative is an NVMe to USB enclosure.

Thank you both for the feedback/recommendation.

NVMe to USB enclosure is the way to go then, it was never an option for me to make use of the SSD as the main drive the pc would boot from as my mainboard only has one PCIe x16 slot, and is used by the graphics card.

If by 2x slot you meant the PCIe x2 socket then no it is indeed not open ended.

As a guy who knows just enough to be a hazard to my PCs health I have to ask, do all M.2 SSDs come with a PCIe requirement? I may be phrasing myself incorrectly here. Mmmm do all M.2 SSDs have the same shaped connector? probably still the wrong way to phrase it. What I'm trying to find out is if it's irrelevant as to which type of NVMe to USB enclosure I get, as long as the SSD physically fits inside?

The more you want to know, the more you need to educate yourself
About M.2 slots
I briefly looked up your pc and the chipset/bios does not look like it is able to boot from a pcie slot, although you can get and use a Sata SSD drive and be able to use that without any issues

The more you want to know, the more you need to educate yourself
About M.2 slots
I briefly looked up your pc and the chipset/bios does not look like it is able to boot from a pcie slot, although you can get and use a Sata SSD drive and be able to use that without any issues
Thank you for that link, very informative (y)

Bookmarked.

Back
Top Bottom