surge protectors, are they all the same? Is my choice good?

maxima2k2

Solid State Member
are all the surge protectors the same? Does it matter what brand to use? This is the one I bought, http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/CyberPower-7-Outlet-Surge-Protector-750/sem/rpsm/oid/163071/catOid/-13011/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
Each one probably has a different electrial rating, but does that really matter? I don't know what any of those specifications mean but I hope my choice won't damage anything, my laptop, stereo, and small tv will be plugged into it. Here are the laptop power adapter specs...input= 100-240v~ 1.6a(1.6a) 50-60Hz and output= 18.5v 3.8a. This is the specs for the surge protector...1250 joules, maxima surge voltage on all household wiring is 6000 volts, clamping voltage= 330 volts, electrial rating= 125v, 15a, 60hz-1875 watts continious and circuit breaker 15 amps. I don't know all this means, so can someone help me out and tell me if this surge protector is okay to use on my laptop. Big thanks!

i dont think it really matters.

I don't really know much about the matter, so this is just an educated guess, but I would assume that there actually is a difference, or the expensive ones would never sell and they would've stopped producing them...

the bad thing is that you'll never find out for sure until it's too late and it has either done it's job, or wasn't powerful enough to 'protect" your equipment......

I would recommend one, when electricity goes out they will power up ur PC and give you enought time to shut it down without hurting your hardware. They also help in the downs and ups of the electrical current.

I would recommend one, when electricity goes out they will power up ur PC and give you enought time to shut it down without hurting your hardware. They also help in the downs and ups of the electrical current.

Surge protectors only protect surges through the electrical line. They don't act as a battery. You're talking about an UPS.

they are all really the same. just make sure it is Ul listed (if you are in united States)

the joules rating is how many joules it can handle before it shuts its self down for good. the clamping voltage is the voltage at which the surge protector shuts off, and the maximum voltage is the greatest voltage it can handle.

yes, that surge protector will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom