Super-Compressing Files

Equinox1354

In Runtime
Does anyone know the best software that compresses the most such as 100MB into 10MB? I used WinRAR to compress 1.45GB into 615MB before but I forgot how to do it. Please help! Thanks! :)

WinRAR is the only one I've used to be honest, but it seems to work well on most files.

If you right click and select 'Add to Archive' , you can then select the compression type, and choose 'Best'.
Its slower to compress it, but its the most packed.

Does anyone know the best software that compresses the most such as 100MB into 10MB? I used WinRAR to compress 1.45GB into 615MB before but I forgot how to do it. Please help! Thanks! :)

Compression really depends upon what you are compressing. Video can be compressed, with a certain amount of loss, and still be quite usefull. Data, such as program file, can't tolerate any loss so the compression level has greater limitations. Files with long repetative sequences can be compressed more.

I backed up HL2 EP2 and it was 4.6GB. One DVD can only hold 4.3GB. will it be easy to compress that?

It may compress that much. It depends what the file formats used in the game are stored as. Image/video/model files may compress quite a lot.

I know that model files certainly do.

I didn't just directly copy the GCF, I used the steam backup system when you right click a game and choose Backup. Apparently, all the data is in a 4.5GB .sid file.

It may compress that much. It depends what the file formats used in the game are stored as. Image/video/model files may compress quite a lot.

I know that model files certainly do.
Model files may well compress quite well (though I haven't got much of a clue when it comes to them I'm afraid!) but I would've thought images and video would be pretty well compressed already so might not shrink down much if at all.

As others have said this really depends on what you're compressing - if you zip a FLAC file up, then chances are it'll actually take up more space because of the overheads of putting it in a zip archive (and flac compressed audio is about as good as you can get lossless for that purpose.) At the other extreme I've seen a 4GB wordlist zipped up into a few MB (the wordlist in question used mainly repetitive sequences which made it dead easy to compress using vectors.)

It also depends whether we're talking about lossy compression or lossless, and general purpose compression algorithms or specific ones. Using lossy compression you could probably compress a whole DVD down into a few MB or less, but the quality would be absolutely dire! And if you zip up an uncompressed WAV file it's going to be far bigger than encoding it to lossless FLAC.

Assuming we're talking about general purpose, lossless algorithms then RAR is possibly one of the best - it's more flexible than zip and usually fits more data in (especially if you use the "best" compression option in winrar or similar.) However, even this will differ between different types and sizes of files...!

A 28.6MB FLAC audio file as an example, compresses to a 28.6MB Winrar file, haha... so yeah, no compression at all.

I think he means compression in the reversible way. Not a compressed file that can't then be de-compressed to its full standard size.

Did it come on a single dvd? If so then you should be able to use something like CDBurnerXP to make an ISO image of the DVD which you should be able to burn back onto another one.

Back
Top Bottom