Suicide Race - Suitable thread for only the non-sqeemish..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Half Evil

Golden Master
Okay, soon comming up is the Annual Suicide Race. Animal rights activactes (sp) cant do anything because it is on Indian Land. The Reservation.

What happens is that Horses are run from the top of the hill, down a very steep one. And straight into water. The hill is so steep, horses roll, and die, they break their legs in the water, because they are made to swim across a river.

Paws dot com said:
Omak Suicide Race

It's "The Deadliest Horse Race in the World" and it's right here in Washington

"It is one thing to preserve traditions or commemorate acts of courage in the history of a people, but this staged spectacle, putting horses and humans at grave risk year after year for entertainment and profit, is an abomination. This is a blight on the organizers, promoters, participants and willing spectators, and no credit to horsemanship or anyone's culture. It is the reckless infliction of terror, pain, exhaustion, suffering, and death on an animal that has been our faithful partner and companion through the ages." - Dr. Andrew G. Lang, ASPCA Director of Equine Programs

Omak is a small town in Eastern Washington State. Every year the local rodeo, called the Omak Stampede, boasts of its main attraction "The World-Famous Omak Suicide Race." The race regularly and routinely kills horses.

Over a span of four days and nights, riders repeatedly send horses off "Suicide Hill" with a 120-foot full-galloping start. Horses plunge blindly more than 210 feet downhill, at a slope organizers have boasted is an "almost vertical…62 degree angle." At breakneck speed horses then meet, with concrete force, the rocky Okanogan River. After a panicked swim of more than a football field in length, the horses face a final, grueling uphill sprint.

These horses, many 'on-loan' for the event, have suffered heart attacks from over exertion, broken bones from collisions and shocking tumbles, and even horrifying death by drowning.

For over 20 years, PAWS has been monitoring the race and working to raise awareness and evoke action to end it. In that time, 20 deaths have been documented; in 2004, three horses were killed in the first heat alone. When will they stop calling it a Suicide Race and start calling it murder?

See.

I know people that like it.

And on the flip side (myself included) hate the idea of the race.

Opinions? Thoughts on what to do about it?

Omak Suicide Race Facts [Link]

Some Video Links (bottom of page)

Well, maybe they were raised wrong?

I might as well cut the crap.. They are just some fucked up people.

ArrizX said:
Okay, soon comming up is the Annual Suicide Race. Animal rights activactes (sp) cant do anything because it is on Indian Land. The Reservation.

What happens is that Horses are run from the top of the hill, down a very steep one. And straight into water. The hill is so steep, horses roll, and die, they break their legs in the water, because they are made to swim across a river.

See.

I know people that like it.

And on the flip side (myself included) hate the idea of the race.

Opinions? Thoughts on what to do about it?

Omak Suicide Race Facts [Link]

Some Video Links (bottom of page)
Did you complan to paws.com?, I guess you did.

Tradition is no excuse. Just because you've been doing something wrong for a long time doesn't make it right.

I would like to make the people who organise and take part in this event run the course themselves for four days without a break and if they are still alive after that, they could go on their way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom