Stupid FORD intake manifold!!!!

mwwwilson

In Runtime
So here is my project for the week. I busted the coolant outlet nipple that leaves the intake manifold to feed coolant through the heater core! Come to find out that this piece is not separate from the manifold (it's a all molded piece). This is on a 2002 Mustang GT. See bottom right area of attatched photo. That hose insert broke.
So now, to attempt to save hundreds of $$$$, I'm going to ATTEMPT a crude little fix. Tap the outlet and insert a hose barb that is threaded on one end and not one the other end<---- so that the hose can go down over it. Of course with lots and lots of sealant of some type.
I read that many others have had this same problem. Mostly all on Mustangs and mostly all due to engine torque.

This fix should be interesting. If it doesn't work or I make the situation worse... it is a broken ALL-IN-ONE piece anyhow. I know one thing... if I have to replace the manifold, I'm going with an Eldelbrock!

Just thought I'd share. Any suggestions are welcome... other than "Don't buy a FORD". That will never happen because I'm a born MUSTANG lover.

Attachments

• PICT0895-vi.jpg
    PICT0895-vi.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 8
Thanks for the info. and that is the Edelbrock that I will be getting if this doesn't work. I shall know more by the end of the week. I will be sure to update this post on my results.

Seriously, don't attempt the fix, it's a common failure, and even more common on the front side of the manifold if it's got the plastic coolant passage instead of the revised aluminum one.

a common failure that is going to cost me over $500+ (part and labor). It's alrighty broke so if this fix doesn't work at least I tried. Not like I can break it worse. If I crack it all the way down to the top of the channels, I will just buy one. I read on a mustang forum step by step procedures for this fix, just like I had invisioned them. So I'm going to attempt it. If it works it will save me hundreds that I don't have right now. It is going to be a temporary fix anyways. If it can last me a month, I will get it replaced correctly. But this time not with that cheap design... I'm going Eldelbrock for $100 more.

Back
Top Bottom