Student Searching...

emoryjane

Beta member
I'm a student looking to purchase a laptop replacement. I'm having a hard time figuring out what exactly would work best for me.

I currently have the Toshiba Satellite L355-S7915 17.0" Notebook and I hate how big, clunky, and slow it is (its been my first and only laptop). Starting out my ideal list looked something like this:

4GB+ memory
150+ GB storage
Longer battery life
Lightweight (less than three pounds)
High screen resolution
Windows 8.1 or Chromebook
$0 - $700

After doing a lot of research, I'm finding having all those things in one pc is almost impossible (at that price range). I basically internet surf, music/movie stream, and basic stuff like that so I really don't need much to run. But the hard part is I'm in college and I need something that can handle homework including Office and having multiple tabs/applications open at once (otherwise this decision would be much easier).

I originally saw the Toshiba Chromebook 2 and thought it'd be perfect (that 1920x1080 screen made me fall in love) but I'm not sure about the limited access to Office (I have crappy internet where I live) and if it would be able to handle the homework aspect (I've read a lot of reviews about its lag)...but when looking around I'm finding that I'm having a hard time being willing to sacrifice portability/lightweight/screen res.

Really I think I'm looking for a larger tablet (with a keyboard...I won't rely on touchscreen alone) for weight, resolution, portability and such...but the other specs are telling me I should get a 5 pound windows 8.1 ASUS with a 500 GB hard drive to handle homework stuff. (just thinking about getting something that large and clunky makes me cringe. )

If I had the money, I'd get the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 in a heartbeat (I love how it has a stylus pen and 10" screen and full-functioning windows 8.1) but I'm in college...enough said.

I have thought about just getting a cheap larger laptop with the specs I need and spending the rest of my budget on a tablet but having multiple devices is a pain...especially taking one to class and leaving the other at the dorm and stuff...and I figure at that point I should just get a desktop but I want portability and I don't have room for a desktop. As it is, I put away my laptop when not in use so I have room to do other homework on my desk.

What's your advice?

Note: I'm already on the lookout for an external hard drive (I needed one anyway)

Check out the student deals that Microsoft has available to college students:
Microsoft Store - EDU Portal

If you don't mind refurbs... check out Lenovo's Outlet store: Lenovo Outlet | Lenovo US

They sometimes have some nice deals on the Yoga line (which would be a touchscreen/normal laptop).

Also check out Amazon's laptops and watch for used laptops that people are selling (I've had good luck with used laptops so that's why I promote them so heavily).

I've never thought about doing a used one...I guess I'd be nervous what it was used for! Have you ever had problems with trojans or malware on a used computer? I'll definitely take a look though...it might lower the price of something enough to get what I want!

Malware on a used system would be the least of my concern, as I usually do a fresh install of Windows anyway. But no, I've never worried about that. Actual hardware functionality and any cosmetic damage are what I'm most concerned about with used systems.

Out of the 5 laptops I've had (3 of them gaming systems), only 1 was "new in box" - which was my first system - a Compaq laptop (parents have it now). Bought a used Lenovo off of Craigslist for cheap after that (2nd year of college...now it's a spare system), 6 months later bought a refurb Asus G73jh off of Newegg (wife has it now). Year or so later I bought an MSI GT780DX off of somebody from another forum (sold it recently), and just this past year I bought an MSI GT70 off of eBay. All of them have been just fine as far as condition goes.

Back
Top Bottom