Strong Security for the Paranoid. Somethings I have picked up on.

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
I have tight security on my SO\HO Network & as such it wouldn't be that easy for someone to break in or sniff my traffic. If my property was broken in to, They would have to ditch the HDD due to the Encryption and as such.

Hear is Number One:

Download Vera Crypt. Run it and install it. Do a full drive encryption and keep your Boot CD\DVD Safe and in a protective place with a good Strong Password of approx; 20 Caricatures.

Hear is Number two.

Run the latest software. The latest stable version of the software such as Firefox for example. Try to avoid BETA Versions. Run stable full versions.

Hears Number Three.

Run Ccleaner as I have found on a regular basis. Clean your full drive after having a look at the options available as to what you will and can clean from the Menu on the left hand side.

Also do a full Drive Wipe on 7 NSA or 35 Gut man Pass once a month approx IMHO.

Hears Number Four.

Run a VPN. Download the software after with many sites available you can register a free account. After that and downloading the software, Select a strong secure password. If you go for paid have a look at what you get for example; Unlimited bandwidth, unlimited download \ traffic, how many access points do you get with you change of IP Address.

Look for something like 2048 End Point Encryption with the acutall traffic encrypted it self threw the network.

Hears a Extra Tip for the Paranoid People out their:

Run TOR (The Onion Router.) You will need a good connection speed to do this such as Fiber Optic but it will be worth it.

---------------

If you run Firefox, use AdBlock and No Script. This will protect you from heavy content web sites which Malware can be a problem if the site if Hi Jacked by anything \ one .

Finally you can run on your Local machine something like Malwarebytes antiexploit free for extra layer of protection against your online threats in line with Ad block and No Script.

If you want your Files encrypted run and create containers as files using Vera Crypt with in the encrypted OS.

Password your BIOS, and set a Supervisor Password. This can be easy by passed by people who know what their doing but it will make it more difficult for people with Basic or even intermediate knowledge even to get in to the system.

If you want to be completely free of all this you can run something like a Unix \ Linux OS in the Volatile Memory in side your PC. What this means is when the PC is shut down the whole contents are lost and completely gone. Nothing is Saved to the HDD. Something like Linux Mint is perfect for this. You can have your PC booted for Weeks at a time and simply only be running out the Volatile Memory.

Try to cycle your Passwords on a regular basis. Change them every month. I know this is a pain and you will get confused at times but it makes it more difficult for people to "Get In" and tamper with your stuff and mess you life around. Such as E Mails ECT: If someone has access to your E Mail in my experience they are pretty much in. Its the Jack pot with a lot of situations. Onlien Banking, Social Networking, News Media, and a lot of online sites will need your E Mail Address.

Try not to log in to sites and use your E Mail as a Login simply because giving you address out can be dangerous. Same thing in the "Real Word! ." You wouldn't just give any stranger you address.

Also you can run security like AVG Free, Avast, Kaspersky, for pro active defense against Malware.

Also if you feel the need to have a Web Cam in you home or on you Laptop \ Desktop PC feel free to if you have to simply apply a stick bandage over it for security from hacking and prying eyes. If you want to leave the PC Switched on 24\7 you can do this and turn the Microphone off on the PC \ Laptop. Mostly laptops that have this.

I know this is over kill Mods and Admin, but if People follow this they should be pretty safe. Feel free top rep me or thank me if this is helpful.

EDITED FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.

Last edited:
Being one of those "paranoid" people, I have some comments for this list.

First, some assumptions:
  1. System has no external storage devices

2. System operator has average knowledge about/confidence with system hardware
Also note, the terms "password" and "passphrase" are used interchangeably, and for all intents and purposes, mean the same thing for this post, even though, in practice, are separate terms.
[RANT]
  1. Running the latest available version of anything brings a potential for 0-day vulnerabilities. Granted, only certain software packages have had a tendency to have such vulnerabilities (I'm looking at you, Adobe Flash), and for programs like that, downloading and installing the latest update as soon as it's available might not always be the smartest thing to do.

2. CCleaner has very little, if any, value in securing a system, and should never be used in place of an antimalware/antivirus application. Yes, it is helpful for speeding up your system (so they claim.. It never did anything for mine), but it cannot prevent it from becoming one of the unfortunate victims of the next ILOVEYOU worm.

3. (LAPTOPS) I wouldn't recommend password protecting the BIOS. If the password is forgotten, that's it. Gotta send your laptop in for service. This can be particularly costly for people (like me) who tend to forget the passwords they use, and have a program (like keepass or 1password) for storing and maintaining password lists.

4. Running unix/linux on volatile memory doesn't really secure your system, since it destroys all information once the system is shut down. The idea behind keeping your PC secure is so that you, and only you, can access the information stored on it. This is the same thing as formatting your HDD and reinstalling Windows every time you shut your system down. This might be okay for a computer that's left on 24/7, but if you accidentally hit that power button, say goodbye to those countless hours of work you've been putting into writing that 155-page essay that's due in about six hours.

5. Regularly changing passphrases does absolutely nothing for keeping your system secure. In fact, this has a tendency to weaken (sometimes greatly) the system whose passphrase is constantly being changed.
    More on that Here

6. Running some sort of antivirus or antimalware program is a must. Not doing so is just inviting a crap-swarm for your system. I simply can't stress this enough.

7. Covering your webcam with a bandage, sticker, etc, only sweeps the problem under the rug. If you are concerned about someone spying on you through your webcam/microphone, unplug them when you're not using them (duh), or if you're using a laptop where they're built in, use device manager (or the Mac/Linux equivalent) to either disable the drivers for the microphone/webcam, or uninstall them entirely.
[/RANT]

Edited to address some misconceptions/inaccuracies

Last edited:
If you want to be completely free of all this you can run something like a Unix \ Linux OS in the Volatile Memory in side your PC. What this means is when the PC is shut down the whole contents are lost and completely gone. Nothing is Saved to the HDD. Something like Linux Mint is perfect for this. You can have your PC booted for Weeks at a time and simply only be running out the Volatile Memory.
Tails is usually a better option for security in mind.

Try to cycle your Passwords on a regular basis. Change them every month. I know this is a pain and you will get confused at times but it makes it more difficult for people to "Get In" and tamper with your stuff and mess you life around. Such as E Mails ECT: If someone has access to your E Mail in my experience they are pretty much in. Its the Jack pot with a lot of situations. Onlien Banking, Social Networking, News Media, and a lot of online sites will need your E Mail Address.
Ideally you shouldn't be using "passwords" but rather "pass phrases". They're easier to remember generally, and are harder to crack (i.e. takes longer) than a simple password mixed with 1337 speak.

Being one of those "paranoid" people, I have some comments for this list.
[RANT]
  1. Running the latest available (non-beta) version of anything brings a potential for 0-day vulnerabilities. Granted, only certain software packages have had a tendency to have such vulnerabilities (I'm looking at you, Adobe Flash), and for programs like that, downloading and installing the latest update as soon as it's available might not always be the smartest thing to do.

1. Beta versions would be more akin to have zero-days IMO - but being a beta, it would be patched more quickly (if you're subscribed to a "beta" build system, if the software supports it).

[*]I wouldn't recommend password protecting the BIOS for the most part. If the password is forgotten, that's it. Time to buy a new motherboard. This can be particularly costly for people (like me) who tend to forget the passwords they use, and have a program (like keepass or 1password) for storing and maintaining password lists.
    Nope... Motherboards have a physical jumper to reset passwords. Usually it's even labeled as "PWD_RST" or something along those lines.

[*]Running unix/linux on volatile memory doesn't really secure your system, since it destroys all information once the system is shut down. The idea behind keeping your PC secure is so that you, and only you, can access the information stored on it.

Mixing security / privacy with the running linux off of a Live version. It gives you more privacy but not necessarily more security (unless you're following the other guidelines as well).

This is the same thing as formatting your HDD and reinstalling Windows every time you shut your system down. This might be okay for a computer that's left on 24/7, but if you accidentally hit that power button, say goodbye to those countless hours of work you've been putting into writing that 155-page essay that's due in about six hours.
    That's why you save important files you want to keep to a separate/encrypted destination (such as secondary drive or flash drive).

[*]Regularly changing passwords does absolutely nothing for keeping your system secure. In fact, this has a tendency to weaken (sometimes greatly) the system whose password is constantly being changed.
    More on that Here
    As I previously mentioned, passphrases are generally better than a single password.

Back
Top Bottom