Stream Google Drive Videos to TV

nbrikha89

Baseband Member
I'm putting this here because I'm looking for a piece of hardware for a very specific situation. My g/f and I live 1k miles apart. We like watching movies together but she doesn't have her pc in her room but she has a tv in there. We sync videos off of google drive that I have downloaded. Is there a device that stream google drive videos that I've shared with her? The best I've figured so far is a Roku with AirCast on her Samsung S3 but I'd like something more stable than that. Any ideas of any sort? Or any idea where I can ask to find out? Help is amazingly appreciated

The Chromecast can stream video from places like YouTube and Netflix, and can also stream a Chrome tab. So, you could drag the video into Chrome and then cast that tab to the Chromecast over wifi. It's a little laggy but works OK.
Also, since it's Google, I wouldn't be surprised if they offered options to stream content from Drive to the Chromecast in the future (although you can't do it now).

Another, probably better, option would be to get an HDMI cable to connect her phone to the TV. Then just plug the phone into the TV and play the video. You will need to get an MHL cable for the S3, which is $10 direct from Samsung (or cheaper from other places).

Back
Top Bottom