Strange power shutoff problem

Jesusfrk611

Fully Optimized
Someone wanted me to see if I could fix their computer. At first it didn't work at all and I came to find out that it was the power button mechanical stuff that wasn't hitting the power button. But I decided to just do a Windows reinstall and fix the original problem. Well, I've reinstalled twice now with the same result. It will install Windows and then restart like normal. Then it will act like it's going to continue and then the power just shuts off. I turn it back on and It shows an error telling me that I need to reinstall Windows again. OS is Vista, and I'm using a recovery partition to restore to factory. I haven't tried just a normal OS CD yet, so idk if maybe there's a problem with the recovery partition, but it doesn't explain the random power off. It did it at the same point in install both times... The lady just let me have the system and I just got her data off it for her, so I want to see if I can get it to work in some form for me.

I've had a bad power supply act like that. Everything looks great right until the OS loads up, then bam, it shuts down.

most likley the power supply but it can also be the cpu if you had it running for a bit, the cpu cooler can be completley clogged up with dust and the cpu is not being cooled enough so it gets to hot and shuts off but most likley its the power supply

Bummer. I wanted to replace it anyway, but I looked at it and the connector looks proprietary... It's an ITX board in one of those small cases. It's a 24 pin, but a smaller connector. Do they sell those on Newegg or can I get a converter? I'll be throwing the whole thing in a new case, so PSU size is no big deal. I just dunno if I can get a PSU for that particular mobo... I already looked on Newegg, but dunno exactly what I'm looking for or if it even exists. I can give you size comparison pics tomorrow if needed.

CPU heatsink looks fairly clean, little dust on the fan, nothing really on the heatsink.

Back
Top Bottom