Strange noise coming from PC when I play GTX IV

GLaDOS

In Runtime
Hello all,

When I start up GTA IV (purchased through Steam) on my PC, there is a high-pitched whining noise coming from my PC. I've tried to open up the side panel while this is occurring to try and narrow down where this noise may be coming from. I'm still not a 100% sure, but my best guess at the moment is my GPU. I've tried cranking down the Graphics but that doesn't change the noise at all. And the second I switch back to my desktop (even if the game is still running) the noise goes away.

I ran FurMark in bench marking mode to stress-test the GPU. The noise isn't quite the same during that test, but it is close. The only difference is, during that test, the pitch of the noise changes going up and down every few seconds. When I play GTA IV, the noise is present while the game is loading and for the first minute or so while playing. It appears to go away after that point and may return occasionally after that.

Does anyone have any idea what this noise is and how I can stop it? I've done some research online and a few people have mentioned coil-whining. Could this be the cause? I'd sure appreciate any help on this one.

EDIT: I should also mention, this is a problem that has arisen over the last 2 or 3 days. I don't recall hearing this noise when I first installed GTA IV and tried it out (probably 3-4 weeks ago).

Here are my system specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card
Case: Azza Hurrican 2000R ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer
Monitor: Asus VE278Q 27.0" Monitor

What have you changed in the last few days? How old is your PSU?

I have that happen to me all the time when I load up certain games. Mine is the GPU's spinning up to handle the game. No biggie (to me that is) as it's not going to hurt your GPU as long as the fans kick on when a load is put on it. I also have a fan controller, so I can push extra air around my cards when I'm playing as well.

As far as I can remember, no changes have been made in the last few days. I've just been installing a few applications and utilities. I've read a few posts elsewhere that suggest the original posters to RMA the GPU - is that necessary?

I've heard of this referred to as coil whine. Is this something that goes away over time?

Sounds like coil / cap whine, like you already figured.

Figure out where it's coming from (mobo, GPU, or PSU). Usually it happens under stress - I remember by GTX 285 doing this (cap whine) - they were notorious for it, and it only happened when I played games or used GPU-intensive applications. No, it won't go away - you'll have to either RMA it or live with it.

Sounds like coil / cap whine, like you already figured.

Figure out where it's coming from (mobo, GPU, or PSU). Usually it happens under stress - I remember by GTX 285 doing this (cap whine) - they were notorious for it, and it only happened when I played games or used GPU-intensive applications. No, it won't go away - you'll have to either RMA it or live with it.

Thanks carnagex. So far it only happens for a few minutes while GTA IV loads, I can live with it as long as I know there's no damage being done or that it's not a sign of impending failure. Besides, from what I've read elsewhere there seems to be no guarantee the next card wouldn't have it either.

Is there a way to confirm the noise is definitely coming from the GPU? I've tried opening up the side of the PC and putting my ear next to each part. My best guess is that it is the GPU, but the parts are so close it's hard to say definitively.

Turning on V-Sync seems to have corrected the issue in GTA IV. I'll have to Google what this is when I finish this post, haha!

It's coil whine from the GPU and the 780s aren't really known to do this. I would ring up eVGA and see what they have to say about an RMA and if it's necessary.

Back
Top Bottom