stopping dual boot

hascet

Fully Optimized
I used to have Vista on one hdd, and XP on the other well I didn't want Vista anymore so I formatted that drive but it still asks which os I want to boot when I turn on my computer, how do fix it?

try this....Open the Boot.ini File

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

-or-

Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.

2. On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
3. Under System Startup, click Edit.

just delete the line with the vista choice on it.....should work, but no guarentees....use info at your own risk! i had two choices for xp once, and this got rid of one of them so that screen didn't show anymore at start-up.

This is what it says:

;
;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
;
[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

when I go to advanced in system startup the only os there is XP

oh,,,dont know then...i was on xp, and i had two identical lines with xp, and deleted one of the lines of info....maybe it's different with vista being on there.

Below is a cut & paste from istartedsomething.com. Though this is for if you still have Vista installed (which I understand that you don't). However, the e:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt52 ALL /force command may still remove the dual boot listing you're wishing to get rid of. I wish you luck ... and hope these steps clear up your issues.

the easiest way to revert back from a dual boot scenario.

Uninstall
After playing around with Vista for a few days, you may want to remove it from your system, and reclaim the hard drive space. Microsoft has made this step very simple as well.

Boot your computer in to Windows XP.
Ensure you have the Vista DVD image emulated or in the DVD drive.
Go to "Start" and "Run". Type in "e:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt52 ALL /force" (without quotes, and replacing e: with the drive letter of your Vista DVD).
Restart the computer, and you will notice the boot selection menu is gone.
Format the partition/drive where you had Vista installed.
Remove two files (Boot.BAK & Bootsect.BAK) on your XP drive's root folder C:\, these were backup files of your previous bootloader, now no longer useful.
Optional: Restart to ensure it still works.
Use your partition software to merge your partitions together.

Well, Vista was on a different hard drive so I just formatted it, would it still be the same as that^?

not sure what the effects of what i'm about to say would be, seeing as how i've never done it on a dual-boot machine. That said, have you tried "Fixboot" and "Fixmbr" in the recovery counsul?

hascet said:
Well, Vista was on a different hard drive so I just formatted it, would it still be the same as that^?

I realize that your Vista install was on a different partition. :) I guess I was thinking this might be the solution for getting rid of the boot selection list that you originally posted as your issue. To me, this would return the "boot loading responsibility" back to the XP installation ... fixing/returning the boot.ini file back to its original state.
Give it a try ... I don't see how it would hurt since it is using a command line function from Vista to remove Vista's bcedit version of boot.ini.

Just use your XP CD to boot from, then do a fixboot, fixmbr command in recovery console. If that doesnt sort it then use the bootcfg /rebuild command

Back
Top Bottom