stop windows update from changing things

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
every time theres a major update it changes bunch of things that it shouldn't change like file associations and browser settings and other things.
reverting back to default programs that I don't want to use

isn't there a law that prevents software from making unauthorized changes without asking the user or was that forgotten already since the late 90s?

because if I remember correctly its not the first time Microsoft did this kind of sht

anyway

what can I do to prevent Microsoft updates from changing my settings all the time.
I am tired of having to go through everything and switch back to my preferred settings and file associations

so is it possible by registry edits or any other way?
I don't want to disable it completely I just want it to stop resetting everything to default.

can I write protect my settings in the registry where even the update wont be able to reset them?

I googled but all I see is how to completely disable it which is not what I want

every time theres a major update it changes bunch of things that it shouldn't change like file associations and browser settings and other things.
reverting back to default programs that I don't want to use
isn't there a law that prevents software from making unauthorized changes without asking the user or was that forgotten already since the late 90s?
because if I remember correctly its not the first time Microsoft did this kind of sht
anyway
what can I do to prevent Microsoft updates from changing my settings all the time.
I am tired of having to go through everything and switch back to my preferred settings and file associations
  • Weird, you have some weird Windows. I have no such problem.
  • If you have a specific problem, we and you together can investigate it. As long as you only complain that everything is bad and everything is wrong, nothing can be corrected.
Please provide specific examples and specific questions. Very exactly what changes, when changes, what you do before change, etc. Then it is possible to investigate further. Also we must know what Windows version is installed, what updates are installed, etc. What third parti software is installed, when You made new clean installation, how You clean junk and registry etc.

file associations change
browser is reset to defaults every time there is a major update
the start menu resets to the stupid windows tile instead of classic start menu
some other settings change that I cant remember.

windows 10 pro
10.0.17763 build 17763

its a fresh install few months ago
all software I have is exactly same as I had with windows 8

1. file associations change
  2. browser is reset to defaults every time there is a major update
  3. the start menu resets to the stupid windows tile instead of classic start menu
  4. some other settings change that I cant remember.
  5. windows 10 pro 10.0.17763 build 17763 - its a fresh install few months ago
  6. all software I have is exactly same as I had with windows 8
  1. absolutely normal, if you do a clean installation, how else?
  2. absolutely normal, if you do a clean installation, how else?
  3. weird you can't remember, but you know it's changed?
  4. this is the ancient version, which major update you are talking at all?
  5. the software, what you own, is your choice - who do you blame if You have what You have selected?

1. absolutely normal, if you do a clean installation, how else?
  2. absolutely normal, if you do a clean installation, how else?
  3. weird you can't remember, but you know it's changed?
  4. this is the ancient version, which major update you are talking at all?
  5. the software, what you own, is your choice - who do you blame if You have what You have selected?

reference - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...lication/2597d24f-1ae8-451a-9cbf-39dfd3452f0e

The way MS updates work now, feature updates are released every 6 months, and what they do (which I didnt know) is actually reset the feature to a fresh state.. so it is quite annoying, it happens to me too..

I personally dont like it, but cant do much about it, besides not installing the feature updates, or writing a .ps1 to re-config each time...

kalju wtf I don't even know what you are saying seriously.
are you just trolling or replying simply to write something?

I don't think you really know what you talking about...

its n update not a clean installation …

i2D

so is there a way to lock the registry entries from being reset by the update
or write protect the settings that are being reset
or file associations

im not really sure what the other guy is saying. It doesn't make sense

kalju wtf I don't even know what you are saying seriously.
are you just trolling or replying simply to write something?
You are a strange person. You ask for advice and when someone tries to help you, you start accusing, even not knowing in what. You name people stupid and so on. If You're so smart and wise, why You ask at all. Why to ask, if don't need any help.
In the future, please write what kind of answers we are allowed to write, just say what you like. And we will write to You exactly what You love to read.
And Your behavior is simply horror.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom