Stimulus payments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, guys... let's keep this from being a bashing thread. It will die quickly if it does.

Actually, our federal taxes pay for all kinds of things that it shouldn't pay for... like roads, education, storm recovery, welfare, military, yada, yada, yada. All of these were originally the states' responsibility, not the federal government's. Over time the government absorbed all of these.

The only taxes the government was supposed to collect was tariffs on imports and such. But that was then...

All of my income was military and taxed heavily. (my return was $1900 out of a little over 11k). Thats shows that even if you work for the gov, you still get taxed!!

Wasn't it Ben Franklin who said that the only sure things were death and taxes?

All of my income was military and taxed heavily. (my return was $1900 out of a little over 11k). Thats shows that even if you work for the gov, you still get taxed!!

I thought military got some pretty big tax breaks. I've looked at joining up before and they always make it sound like you get a lot of breaks at the end of the year so your refund is pretty fat. Is it not as good as they make it out to be?

I thought military got some pretty big tax breaks. I've looked at joining up before and they always make it sound like you get a lot of breaks at the end of the year so your refund is pretty fat. Is it not as good as they make it out to be?

Yeah right. How about no tax breaks. That only applies if you are stationed overseas or in combat. As long as you are anywhere in the U.S., you pay the same taxes as anyone else.

Yeah right. How about no tax breaks. That only applies if you are stationed overseas or in combat. As long as you are anywhere in the U.S., you pay the same taxes as anyone else.

Lame. Does your housing allowance and so forth make up for any of it? They always make that sound really good, too. I can't imagine it being much, though.

Lame. Does your housing allowance and so forth make up for any of it? They always make that sound really good, too. I can't imagine it being much, though.

Reserve military doesn't get that, only active. The 11k i made was from my monthly drills, 2 months of active duty training (job traning) and part of my enlistment bonus.

But if active duty, the housing allowance is pretty good...you basically live rent free. Only problem is, you have to live with someone else until you become rank E-5 or youre married.

And recruiters lie, a lot. Anything you wanna know, ask someone OTHER than a recruiter...theyll give you good info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom