Still getting random trojans and data collectors, despite heavy precautions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ste

Do not Stare at my Avatar
Long time no see, hugs and kisses etc etc.. :p

Yea so, This is the problem I still have: once every 1-2 months I do scans with various software programs and I still get hidden out going data streams, and trojans. Despite having the following preventative measures in place. (its not always the same infection or trojan, otherwise I would Have Listed it.

All passwords I have for websites, software access or hardware access are more than 8 chars and are NON-simple (including symbols, caps, numbers and and lower case letters, there is no easy pattern to how I make these up)

A hardware firewall via a router, with modified (non-default) settings for extra stealth and screening processes.

Windows firewall turned on and an updated Peer guardian 2 running with all lists up to date as well as some custom manually created IP lists.

Windows XP SP3 fully up to date as well as IE, firefox and Opera being completely up dated.

Wireless access point uses WPA2 with a network pass key more than 10 char long abiding by the first item mentioned. (But the computer in question is hardwired, never using the wireless network) Router has had the default password and login name changed to abiding by first item I mentioned.

Software list, all up to date and of newest version.
Peer guardian 2
Spywareblaster (all protection items enabled)
Malwarebytes
Spybot search and destroy (all immunizations applied)
Hijackthis
CCleaner
Avast Free Anti virus
opera used a primary web access

When scanning, Avast, and malwarebytes never finds anything, however hijackthis hidden data stream scanner reveals three items and spybot search and destroy reveals 1-4 infections normall data harvestors or trojans of various names. These are always removed but always show up again at some later point.

The computer is never left on for prolonged periods of time nor do I have many items start up automatically. The only items I have allowed in MSCONFIG are avast, malwarebytes, peer guardian 2 and spybots tea timer function.

The only thing I can possibly think of is to get a more expensive router with more options for firewall and security settings, as well as using a non-free firewall and updating to windows 7.

Other than that, I dunnue. Anything I am not seeing?

Of course my concern is that I use my computer for everything, banking, personnel information, schooling, research fun. Just like everyone else. So what am I missing?
Thanks in advance. :)

Well the only issue I can really see if XP. It has reached it end of life support from Microsoft for some time now and is in extended support. I dont even know if they are releasing patches for it anymore. If they are then that is good, but if you havent gotten any patches for the OS lately, then that is a problem.

The only guess I can wager is a 2 fold.

1. IE is stuck on version 8 with XP. This version has yet to be updated and the malicious software can be getting in that way.
2. XP is in end of life. Microsoft has been releasing announcements that people should start to look at upgrade options cause of this.

My first suggestion is a difficult one. When it comes to personal banking and things like that, I would suggest using a LiveCD version of Linux like Ubuntu. Restart the PC or since you dont keep yours on all the time, start it up with the LiveCD and use the Live version of Ubuntu to do your online accounting. This way nothing is stored on the PC at any time and the changes of any malicious software attacking you are almost non-existant.

Next I would suggest the upgrade to Windows 7. By far that will help you greatly cause it is far more secure than XP ever was. Run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see what conflicts you will run into. That will tell you what programs are Win7 ready and what ones you will either have to find updates for or replacements for.

The last option is of course doing what I did. Switch to Ubuntu full time. I have a dual boot setup so I can go back to Windows when I want. Like to play a game of skyrim or something like that. But overall I have found my way in Ubuntu and found replacements to all my Windows software that do the same job in Ubuntu. Add into the fact you get constant updates and will save money in the end by not having to constantly pay for new Windows every couple of years and you make out. While switching may seem drastic, if you are only doing various things online, it should still work within Ubuntu unless your schooling requires IE. In that case you can easily dual boot like I do and stay within Ubuntu to do all other activities and only boot into XP to do your schooling.

In the end upgrading is your best course of action.

Alright thanks, thats about what I thought. I would really rather not have to use a live cd all the time for banking. -shrugs-

is there a specific version or model of windows 7 that has more security options than the one most people have? I would be willing spluge more cash for more options, you can never have too many options!!

Well if your into networking your system with other machines than of course Professional is the way to go over Home Premium. Ultimate, while having all the options available, doesnt really offer much in terms of goodies compared to the other versions. It isnt like Vista that had Ultimate Extras. So really your just paying a premium to have Language Packs and BitLocker. While BitLocker can be nice, it isnt anything over TrueCrypt if you are really looking into that type of thing.

Professional would be the best way to go IMHO. With Professional you can also use XP Mode. Which means if you have software that isnt compatible with Win7 and there isnt an update available, but you still want to use it, you can just install XP Mode and run it. XP Mode is completely free. It install a VM of XP for you and doesnt require you to have any serials or anything. So that is a plus. Add into it the additional networking options and it is the best of everything.

I know using a LiveCD is not everyone's cup of tea. Especially since it can be such a pain. But honestly it is the only sure fire way to make sure your staying safe while doing the most important things online. Right now I have my wife doing all of that stuff on my machine with Ubuntu over her machine with Windows 7 only cause I know that Ubuntu is more secure in that aspect over Windows 7. The chance of me getting infected is far less than her. So I would rather setup a browser for her to use on my machine that she can do what she needs and stay safe rather than running the risk that something happens with her machine and we get into trouble. Yeah she doesnt always do what I ask, but at least I know that by far she is secure in what she is doing cause I have installed protection and run scans personally on the machine weekly.

Hrmm, yea I don't know if I have faith in built in OS encrypting tools. I mean, the company had someone write it, the company is huge, and the coding isn't created by the borg. Im sure it really isn't that hard to crack it if someone really wanted to.

But Ill definitely be buying it soon. I am very much an eye candy person, so windows 7 will be fine, unless windows 8 is special enough to wait on?

Windows 8 is alright. But as stated in the topic in the Windows forum, it is more geared toward touch screen that use with mouse/keyboard. They got rid of the Start Menu and went with a start Screen that is occupied by large icons with no option to change the size. So if you dont mind such a thing, then it is good. The changes to explorer are good and worthy of waiting for, but the Metro UI is something left to be desired. Add into that the fact that no Metro app can use addons such as Flash and it makes browsing difficult using any Metro based browser. Right now it is only IE, but they are working on a Chrome and Firefox version of Metro apps.

So you will find yourself going into the desktop more often than not using the desktop based browsers more than the Metro apps. The Metro based email app is something that has left people desiring more. Right now you only have the options for Google, Hotmail (Live) and Exchange accounts. There is no way to add other email accounts to that app. So if you need to use an email that doesnt fall into one of those 3, you will be using a desktop email app instead of the Metro one.

Another downside is that you have to link it to one of your Live Accounts upon setup if you really want to take full advantage of the App Store and other things. People who end up creating only a local account and not one linked to a Live Account find that it is far more difficult to switch. Since all things done within Metro revolve around the Live Account integration. If you only create a local account, then you wont be able to download any apps or use them. Forcing you to switch between accounts more often than you wish.

From what I gather on what you want to do, Windows 7 will be the right choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom