Steam Issues

Starr

Daemon Poster
Hello as most of you know I got the computer in my sig yesterday. Well anyway I installed Steam and HL2 and CS:S. When I play them though after a whille I was getting the "Memory cannot be read" error. Well that happened like twice but then the game would crash to desktop. It did that a couple of times and now it just freezes entirely with no response and I have to shut off the computer.

I updated the Bios, mobo, sound, and video drivers.

Someone on the steam forums suggested overheating. Does anyone know any good free, or trial programs that I can use to test that this is the cause. Anyone else have any suggestions?

I also played BF1942 and the BF2 demo with no problems.

Starr

Daemon Poster
I got some Cool and Quiet thing that came with the mobo and it says now that my CPU temp is 40 C and the sys temp is 40 C.

lurkswithin

Fully Optimized
Star it sounds more like a memory failure to me. I would try to swap the memory sticks around and see what happens then. Use 1 stick instead of 2.. that sort of thing and see if you can isolate the problem.

Starr

Daemon Poster
lurkswithin said:
Star it sounds more like a memory failure to me. I would try to swap the memory sticks around and see what happens then. Use 1 stick instead of 2.. that sort of thing and see if you can isolate the problem.
Man, I really don't feel like going through that. It is sooo stupid. I can play the Battlefield 2 Demo fine but I can't play Half-life 2. The last thing I want is to have to send the computer back and wait another 3 weeks to get it back............

Hey Wombat, thanks for that link!

mayorredbeard

Daemon Poster
use to get the same error. Apparently it gives this error for lots of reasons. Theirs a long thread about it on the steam forums, what fixed it for me was a new graphics card, i guess it was the memory on my video card. I heard somewhere else that overclocking may cause this problem, I don't know why, but if you are you might try that.

dyserq

Fully Optimized
Hmm ...
Memory can not be read
Maybe its just overheating or something or that the CPU is 100% ...
Dunno

rdcmmnst

Daemon Poster
lavalys often doesn't give accurate readings try speedfan instead it's good and it will control the fans for you. Very nice. i have heard nothing but bad reports about the cool and quiet technology just shut it off. I'm pretty sure darkblade will come in here and give us a reason as to why.