stay away from this plant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Status
Not open for further replies.

remixedcat

Banned
Giant Hogweed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Giant-hogweed-%28c%29-Crown-Cop.jpg

it is in various parts of the US and UK....

US areas more promininat:
Ohio
Pennslyvania
New York
Virginia
Any New England state

Oregon
Washington
Illinois
Montana

A monster plant with flowers the size of umbrellas and sap that causes blisters, scars that last years, and blindness is spreading across New York, according to the state Department of Environmental Conservation.

It's an invasive species called the giant hogweed, and the DEC seeks help locating outbreaks so they can send crews to nip it in the bud. According to the agency, the plant's sap contains photosensitizing furanocoumarins, which can cause a serious skin inflammation within 15 minutes of skin contact in conjunction with sunlight.

The sap prevents skin from protecting itself from sunlight, according to health and safety instructions from the DEC, which leads to a very bad sunburn. Heat and moisture (sweat or dew) can worsen the skin reaction.

The agency has a Giant Hogweed Hotline at 845-256-3111 for people to call and report sightings. Callers are asked to provide photos and site information, but avoid touching the plant.

Looks similar to some of the weeds in the fields here... Which, those weeds do cause rashs... This could actually be very bad for fields when bailing the hay up for cattle...

Kinda makes me wonder, I can roll around naked in poison ivy and not have an itch. I don't personally know anyone else who isn't bothered by it so who is to say that it has the same affect on everyone....

Kinda makes me wonder, I can roll around naked in poison ivy and not have an itch. I don't personally know anyone else who isn't bothered by it so who is to say that it has the same affect on everyone....

Go try that with hogweed and let us know what happens :p.

Lol I believe I have seen that but a different smaller kind. Hogweed in that smaller species is an issue here for farmers cause it takes over the grass but the cows won't eat it.

The common hogweed doesn't have the same phototoxin as giant hogweed does, though. Cows and pigs I believe can eat giant hogweed without effect, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom