Static Electricity

I have been in and out of tech shops for over 40 years. Working on all kinds of electronical devices and components and computers. Almost every one of the work benches have carpeted tops.If being on carpet was such a fuss do you think that techs would build and repair on them.

I concur with lurkwithin. Unless it is a really cold dry low humidity day don't worry about it.

iflabs said:
What about dust? I'm planning on getting the dust inside. Would a vacuum with a plastic tip work or should I just stick to compressed air?

I use a long bristle 1" wide soft tipped paint brush and compressed air. Don't stick anything hard in side for you have too much a chance to damage some chip if you bump it too hard . Stick with the compressed air if you have doubts about a brush.

I find compressed air does a wonderful job of getting rid of heavy set dust. It might not get the components "clean", but does a good job getting rid of the dust. I do spring cleaning on it once a year where I take my case out to the garage and spray all the components inside to get rid of the dust bunnies.

Static and the cards..

Some believe it can happen.. I showed my buddy once.. I grabbed my graphics card. Started dragging my feet on the carpet while holding the card and touching the chip.. Then walked up to a door know and snap..

Plugged in the card and no ill effects..
Can it happen? Probably
I think the static stories is more hype then actual truth.

Carpets and computers...

If you had touched the card to the door knob as part of the circuit it sure would have killed it. But what I gleen from your story you held the card in your hand and touched the knob with another part of your body. Please correct me if I misunderstood your story.

But I really just wanted to add my 2.5 cents worth about the case in the carpet. When ever I do that I set mine down on a piece of shelving board. You can snap up a square of yellow pine 24"x24"x3/4" for about $5.00USD. Already sanded and smooth. Sitting on that will keep the carpet bunnies from taking up residence in your system. It also serves to keep the front bottom air intake open. The other big thing is well 2 really. Keep the cats and dogs away from the wires. The other is mind the foot tapping on the case.

Re: Carpets and computers...

setishock said:
If you had touched the card to the door knob as part of the circuit it sure would have killed it. But what I gleen from your story you held the card in your hand and touched the knob with another part of your body. Please correct me if I misunderstood your story.
Thats what I did..

Back
Top Bottom