Static and dynamic IP problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sven556

Beta member
Hi there, I'm new to this forum and I have a problem that seems complicated (I doubt that it is complicated to all of you though). I have cable internet which requires that my PCs have a dynamic IP address.

I can't figure out how to get TCP/IP configured to work with a dynamic IP

Then, I also have Norton firewall on my PCs and I can't even get that to let the network connection through with a static IP.

Right now if I need to use a network between my PCs I have to switch from dynamic IP to static (Internet stops working when I do this) Then I have to disable Norton Firewall on both PCs.

Both PCs are running Win 98 SE
Network is regular cat 5 cable

Is there any way around this problem?

Thanks,
Sven

Do you have a router/gateway between your cable modem and your PCs? Or is one PC acting as the gateway with 2 network cards?

If you have a hardware gateway/router that both of your PCs are connected to then, in windows 98, you have to goto your Network Neighborhood properties and goto the properties for TCP/IP. Here, just make sure that no ip address exists here. Make sure that tyou have DHCP enabled. The router, if connected correctly will assign the two PCs the ip addresses/masks/gateways they need.
To find out what ip addresses were assigned, goto start > run > type "command". At the prompt, type "ipconfig". This should show you the ip address info that you are after. It is a little more complicated without a hardware gateway/router from an end-user stand point. I will post instructions if this is the case.

This is a high level explaination, so post your entire hardware configuration on here and you should get a more direct answer from someone.

-Michael

Thanks for the quick reply,
Unfortunately I don't have a router. I'm set up so that both PCs, and the cable modem are connected to a hub. I don't have one computer acting as a gateway.
I would appreciate it if you could explain this set up to me?

Thanks again,
Sven

you need a router to share the internet. a hub cannot handle routing information on the internet. however, you can use a hub to increase the number of devices connected to the router.

another way is ICS software like sygate home/ office network, but it would cost the same to buy a router and not work as good. ICS requires 2 NICS and a computer serving the connection be turned on for the other computers to share the internet.

to use a router is easier than what mike makes it seem, it's mostly plug and play. the broadband modem and computers on the network plug into the router, that basically it! :eek:

Thanks dude!
Yea, sometimes I go off on a tangent and can make things more complicated. :) Ok.....all the time.
Yes, he is correct, you need a gateway/router. He is also correct when he says how easy it is to setup.
I just bought a SoHo gateway/router from BestBuy for a client and it was $45.
Here is the DI-604 model that I bought. This one is recertified but just to give you an idea.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=618593&sku=D700-2059

-Michael

I recommend what these guys said. When you do this, if it has to be dynamic, just go into ip properties and obtain an ip address.

for the price, i would recommend a switch, unless you are passing sensitive financial or otherwise needs-to-be-secure data, then i would go with a good router and safe firewall

A switch will not work in his case without a router.
Right now, he has a cable modem attached to a hub. A hub only works on layer 1 and passes the data it receives through every other port.
A switch will only work on layer 2 and pass packets by reading MAC addresses (most of them). In this case, he needs a router so that the IP packet that is sent from the cable modem can be reconstructed and eventually "routed" to the correct MAC address.
The DI-604 gateway/router listed above is a gateway/router/switch combo. It will be all that he needs (short of two NICs and a few cables).

-Mike

So I can't set it up so that both cable internet and my home network will work simultaneously?
If this is the case I may just leave it be for now.

If I get a router do you recommend one with a firewall on it?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom