start up problem

billozz

In Runtime
hey guys,
i have a problem, i have 2 computers one win 98 os, one win xp os,
the 98 one goes through the startup routine then just sits there with a little dash flashing in the top left corner its drivin me mad anyone have any ideas what is wrong, i have loads of stuff on there that i need so hope its nuthin serious.
thanks in advance
Bill

dishdog,
thanks for your quick reply.
no beeps no messages, it starts up with a cple pages of writing as it normally does then goes to windows 98 page with the the wave moving across the screen at the bottom then it goes to a dash in the top left corner, which i think is normal but then it just sits there with the dash flashing.
hope you can help
Bill

so it shows the 98 screen so your OS is still there. try putting in the 98 install disk and repair the startup files. this won't delete anything so don't worry about it.

put it in then restart your computer. it should detect it and go into it's setup window.

I used to get this problem regularly. I had to restore the registry to an earlier version that was working. I'm sorry but I cant remember the actual command that I had to put in to get it working again.

If you boot it up in safe mode and then click on the help option in the start menu and type restore registry (or something like that) then it will give you a step by step guide on how to restore it.

I don't have windows 98 anymore so I can't find it for you.

HTH

ok im now getting the following message
data error reading drive c
its drivin me madddddddd

Back
Top Bottom