SSD question

Runfox

In Runtime
I am troubleshooting a problem Im having in a game, that causes my graphics to crash. One of the solutions suggested is that I may have a damaged disk sector that contains the graphics card drivers. But I don't see that is possible since I have a SSD. SSD's don't get bad sectors, do they?

SSD's do not have the type of sectors that platter drives have.
That does not mean an area of memory on the SSD chip won't go bad, but most modern SSD drives account for those errors.
I think I would first check your graphics for dust and debris built up in the fan and heatsink, You can blow that crap out with some canned air while holding the fan blades still
Next check your drivers by doing a clean uninstall in safe mode using DDU

Display Driver Uninstaller

Then install a freshly downloaded display driver for your particular gpu.
If your still crashing then you might want to consider looking into your power supply's specs and age.

The games I play, are World of Warships and World of Tanks, both from the same company. Since a few patches ago the games would crash, as in solid color screen. The error I get is Display driver Nvidia stopped responding and has successfully recovered. I use two monitors and it usually locks both up and then I have to reboot, restart the game.
My computer build is old, 2013, so I figure my graphics card is struggling to handle the game now too. My build is, MB Asrock Z&& Extreme 4, CPU IntelcoreI5-3570K, 3.4ghz, GPU EVGA NVIDIA Geforce GTX 670, SSD 500, windows 7.
I sent in a ticket to the WOW game and they gave me 4 possible reasons for the crash. 1) Corrupted, outdated or unsuitable graphics drivers. They suggested I reinstall the latest drivers and perform a clean install, which iI did, still crashes. 2) GPU overclocking or overheating. I don't overclock anything, I have not too long ago, blew out my computer case and all components, including taking the cover off the GPU and cleaned the fans, and cooling internals.
3) Graphics card or power supply hardware malfunction. I blew my power sully out also. 4) Damaged disk drive sector which contains graphics driver files.
So there's what I have for info. I have taken care of item 1, my GPU is not overheating according to my MB startup screen temps, With an SSD I don't believe I have a problem with my graphics card files. So my thought is GPU problem.
So I have a new graphics card coming from NewEgg, Gigabite Geforce GTX 950 2GIG DDR5 PCIe 3.0.

my GPU is not overheating according to my MB startup screen temps,
This is only going to tell you idle temps. You need to monitor with a load EG a game using a software like MSI Afterburner, or you can do a stress test using a free copy of AIDA64. A card like that with the age, odds are the paste is dry and needs to be reapplied with some fresh paste.

Thank you all for your help, I took my computer out and cleaned it all out, not much dust, i clean it pretty regularly. Got my new graphics card, MCI Nvidia GTX950, problem was solved. Old card EVGA GTX 670 was the cause of the glitch. Hoping to have money for a new build end of next year.

Thank you all for your help, I took my computer out and cleaned it all out, not much dust, i clean it pretty regularly. Got my new graphics card, MCI Nvidia GTX950, problem was solved. Old card EVGA GTX 670 was the cause of the glitch. Hoping to have money for a new build end of next year.
Yea, I would put new paste on it and clean off the old paste as it's probably hard as a rock on the old card if you're ever curious.

Back
Top Bottom