SSD not powering up immediately

Rupz911

Beta member
Hi Guys,

I have an issue with my Kingston V200 SSD which i fear i may have caused but would like your view/help. I tried to install a copy of WIN 7 using a USB stick with had the ISO image file. After it failed to launch WIN 7 i thought it may have an issue with the SSD so instead of turning off the computer and taking our the cables and putting them back in the SSD I pulled them out and put them back in while the computer was powered.

Since then the SSD has not been recognised straight away. Rather it takes between 10-15 mins to get it to be recognised as an external drive. I'ce since formatted the SSD and it still does not recognise it immediately like it used to.

Any ideas what has happened or have i now got a fancy paperweight?

Thanks guys

Contrary to what M$ says you should not disconnect any sata drive while the computer is powered up. If it was in an write operation you could have scrambled the drive. Normally you don't format an SSD drive but in this case sure sounds like it wouldn't hurt. Get a formatter program and put it on a thumb drive. Go in the bios and set to boot from the thumb drive. Reboot.
Format the SSD in NTFS format.
If it doesn't recover it may have fried the SSD internal controller. If that's the case contact Kingston and request an RMA.
Next time you install an iso to a drive use an iso installer. You just can't copy it over and expect it to work.

Back
Top Bottom