SSD > I finally made the jump

setishock

Wizard of Wires
I needed to order a copy of Win7 Pro this morning so I checked my email for Newegg sales. No joy there about the software, but did come across some sale items. Found this > OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-128G Solid State Drive - Newegg.com
Some of the reviews at NewEgg were not very kind but it appeared those not giving good reviews were hard core gamers. The better reviews were from everyday and home office type users. I fall in to that class. So I pulled the trigger on my VISA.
I also got an OEM copy of Win7 Pro. I need the XP compatibility that it has. Some of the software the company uses is old and is written to run on XP. Ultimate I think is just taking up too many resources on my system.

Comments?

If this is your first foray into the world of ssds, prepare to be amazed.

I don't give much credit to reviewers on Newegg or Amazon or other sites like that. I prefer to read reviews from people whose job it is to review technical devices. Read some reviews of that type and you'll find that the ssd you chose performs in the middle of the pack but is considered a good buy due to it's price and projected reliability.

The only resource that Ultimate consumes over Pro is disk space but if you don't need the extra features of Ultimate then Pro will do you just fine. As far as the XP compatibility of Pro, you must be referring to XP Mode which will need to be downloaded from MS and installed before you can take advantage of it. The cool thing about XP mode is that it includes a fully licensed copy of XP running in a virtual machine.

Last edited:
i don't think you are gonna regret it. i am never gonna go back to HDD's as boot drive. i have a 250gb Samsung SSD as the boot drive.
Remember to check if dis-fragmentation have been turned off automatically. you don't want to reduce it's lifespan.

Thanks guys. I'll check in to the XP Mode later today.
BikerEcho I do defrags manually all auto functions like that are disabled.

I placed the order at 8 this morning so it should be here some time Friday morning. Hopefully it's at egg's Memphis warehouse. It's a 4 hour drive to here... Go FedEx!

It came in Friday morning.
In the foreground is a key card we use at the hotel. It's roughly the size of a credit card. And the BIC lighter everyone can relate to.
attachment.php

On top are the SATA data and power connectors. Plus the decal that gives the specs and part numbers.
attachment.php

And the connector end dead on.(The Band-Aid box was handy, ok...)
attachment.php

It came with a 2.5 to 3.5 adaptor plate which I won't need. The Antec P280 case has a SSD bay built in to it. I'm not able to get a clear shot of the drive bay so we'll skip that. I'll be installing it and the new OS later this afternoon. Too busy right now.

You will never go back to a standard HDD as your boot drive. I'm sure you did, but make sure you plugged it into one of your SATA III ports on your motherboard for max performance.

Finally got it installed along with the OS. If memory serves, my score before was a 5.6 or 5.9. Don't rightly recall. With the new OS and the SSD the score went up some.
attachment.php

I'm going to have to do some checking on the graphics. I opted out for the 3D vision stuff when putting the card drivers back in.

They're amazing, I just threw a 60GB in a slightly older dual core HP laptop - smokin fast now. Going to grab one for the desktop soon I think.

I'm not impressed. It still takes as long to boot up and programs still take as long to open. Baka! What a waste of time and money.

Back
Top Bottom