SSD drives and constant running

Wilty

Solid State Member
What's the general consensus on leaving these things going? I've always let my computer run normally overnight and when I leave the house (no sleep, no hibernate, etc.) so it can run processes (video rendering, whatever). It's usually been ok with standard HDD's, but how would this affect SSD, if at all?

It can still hurt the drive even though there are no moving parts there are still elecrtonics that can go bad from constant read/write but I leave mine on all the time and I have not seen and issues yet..

Yea, it's the constant read/writing to SSD's that deteriorate their performance over time.

So leaving it to render video every night will have an effect on the SSD after a while.

Why not get a fast HDD and use it for rendering your video and use the SSD for OS and app's?

Most video does get rendered on regular drives, but the primary drive still keeps going. As a stock option, of course, Windows goes into hibernation (or whatever) after 30 minutes. But once that happens, everything ceases, which doesn't help anything get done.

I'll just keep it going and see what happens. If it fails, then I guess I'll have an answer :D

It puzzles me why people on this board are so SSD gunshy. there's nothing wrong with using them as primary & duty drives. The industry wants you to use them like that, so buy them and use them. If you lose a drive, oh well - it happens with platter drives too. People need to get beyond their teething pains and either pick up a drive and test the hell out of it themselves, or stop relying on hearsay and FUD.

Back
Top Bottom