sql server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad711

Daemon Poster
My g/f is applying for jobs where they are wanting sql server experience. Isn't this some what like MySQL? If so I have created a few databases using MySQL for websites I've owned in the past. Seemed pretty simple and straight forward.

If sql server is the same as MySQL then what knowledge would you really need about it? I mean it seems pretty simple and easy to learn/use.

She is apply to analytic jobs that require it. She is a complete wiz using excel and access so shouldn't she be ok with stating she has sql server experience?

I know this is a long shot but does any one here have a website that she could play around with MySQL on with a temp admin account or something? I don't have any more websites right now so I don't have a way to let her mess with it. Doesn't hurt to ask :)

Thanks for the help!

You don't need to have a website just for mysql or postgres you can simply download and install one of those if she wants to get some sql experience. excel isn't going to cut it and she should not say she has experience.

Do you know any where she could get some basic knowledge tutorials on using it? I will have her download MySQL and check it out.

Thanks for the help

SQL is a language. It stands for Structured Query Language. Pretty much every database uses SQL.

Some databases have functions and such to help with development, but the code is generally very similar, so, you should be able to get by learning MySQL.

Also, if you need to setup a MySQL database to mess with, check out my tutorial.

you can further define database that use SQL as relational databases. The only other type of databases I've heard of were Object oreinted databases, but they never gained market share.

also, you could further define the SQL language as Transact SQL or T-SQL for short.

DBA Skills (including but not limited to)

creation and placement of database and transaction log files.

index tuning

query tuning

linking servers

server replication

creating maintanence plans

edit - i see that the job is not a dba job. in this post, i wanted to show that SQL databases are complex systems.

Thanks for the info guys. I will pass this along and see what she can start doing to get some experience.

ok after speaking with her more about this I think her main question is this.

What is the difference between Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and Microsoft Access? She thinks that they are basically the same thing. Most jobs want experience in MS SQL Server though.

What is the difference here?

Thank again for the help

I would say that SQL Server is a more high performing application than MS Access. You'll want to use SQL over Access where performance matters. You would use Access for the smaller scale stuff; say 50 users, >100 mb worth of data.

SQL Server runs as a windows service where Access is a stand alone application. SQL will cache data in memory to delive information to the users more quickly.

Access ha builtin developer functions. You can create forms, reports, and webpages for displaying your data as well as data entry. SQL has Reporting Services which can have reports generated and saved to various formats and possibly emailed.

SQL will give you access to stored procedures, views, triggers, more constraint functionality. I'm trying to think if there's any language differences and i have to say I don't know. I'm wondering what Access will do with a Create Database command. Also, what about builtin functions such as getdate() and cast()...i know you can run count() in Access.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom