Spyware relief may be in sight

Giancarlo

Banned
It just has to go through the Senate I believe...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/tech_spyware_dc

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. House of Representatives on Monday voted to establish new penalties for purveyors of Internet "spyware" that disables users' computers and secretly monitors their activities.

By overwhelming majorities, the House passed two bills that stiffen jail sentences and establish multimillion-dollar fines for those who use secret surveillance programs to steal credit-card numbers, sell software or commit other crimes.

Spyware has emerged as a major headache for computer users over the last several years.

It can sap computing power, crash machines and bury users under a blizzard of unwanted ads. Scam artists use spyware to capture passwords, account numbers and other sensitive data.

.. clip ..

The House voted 395 to 1 to impose jail sentences of up to 2 years. Violators could face fines up to $3 million per incident. Those who use spyware to commit other crimes, such as identity theft, could have an additional 5 years tacked on to their sentences.

Spam bothers me more than spyware... If people would switch over to Firefox, run scans every so often, and think before they click, much spyware can be avoided.

As for spam... Even my more private emails get flooded. I have no clue how people got the address. I only give it to people I know! It really pisses me off, espeically when I get the same damn thing over and over again!

think about it. If the it gets passed. The spyware programs that get rid of it will go out of business. Unless there are people that keep on commiting the crime.

who was the one who thinks it's acceptable for criminals to steals details for fraudulent purposes?

Back
Top Bottom