Spybot S&D setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piney

In Runtime
Download Spybot S&D from the links given in the tech forum.

Open spybot, do the update if you need to.

At the top of spybot there is File, Mode, Language and Help

Click on Mode

Change the Mode from Default to Advanced.

If you have already done this in the past, then I suggest you do the rest to see if spybot has been compromised.

You will then see a left side menu

Click on Settings from the list at the bottom left side menu.

From the next left side menu, click on Settings, and then on Ignore Products

In the middle of the page you will see a whole bunch of tabs.

Click on each in turn, scroll thru all the items under each tab, unchecking every checked item (don't miss unchecking any of them).
Checked items are ignored by Spybot, and often times malware, spyware, worms, trojans, etc will make themselves right at home.

Once done, empty all the temps, temp internet files, cookies and the recycle bin and run spybot, by clicking the topmost item in the left side menu ( Spybot-S&D), then on Check for Problems.

When the scan is finished, right click on one item, choose Select All (from the dropdown menu) then click on Fix The Problems from the top of Spybot.

Good luck:)

Piney

Cheers for advice.

I didn't even delve into the settings to find that.

I only had about 4 checked items.

You would wonder why they were checked in default, that is just giving 'spyware' front-door access.

On a new install of spybot, there will be stuff from either the web page for spybot or from the mirror sites used to download it.

A few sites that can be found by spybot are picked up in the temp internet folder....which is the reason I have the user empty all temps, TIFs, cookies, history and recycle bin before running spybot the first time.

Piney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom