Splitting the sound output

Space_Coyote

In Runtime
I use a y-splitter from the audio jack so that I can listen to speakers and also use my headset to talk to teammates in Ventrilo.

I never had a problem before but now my bud gave me his old mobo for better performance (Abit, dont' have model #). Now if I have them both plugged in, they both sound tinny and distant.

If only one is plugged into the splitter (or directly to jack) then it's fine. As soon as I plug the other one in though, the problem occurs.

Is it a problem with the output not being powerful enough to do both? If so, is there a way to boost it?

Usually the y splitter will split the stereo signals into left and right.

Plus, these days, the inputs/outputs for speakers and Mic are on a seperate connection if they weren't before.

Can't you just plug the speakers in the designated port (possibly green), and the headset to send stuff in the Microphone port? (Possibly red?)

What type of splitter do you have, its it one of those cheap plastic things or is it a gold plated one?

new.gif

The problem with that is that the sound from the speakers gets picked-up by the microphone and you get a weird feedback/echo effect when you talk.

In truth, I mute the speakers when I have the headset on for this reason. I just hate having to pull out the PC and switch jacks everytime. It used to work fine before.

rusbo.uk said:
What type of splitter do you have, its it one of those cheap plastic things or is it a gold plated one?

new.gif

It is a plastic housing but I believe the connectors are gold.

Like rusbo said, a quality splitter cable makes a huge difference as opposed to a cheap one. A person would make no mistake to pay for the high quality gold plated ones.

Back
Top Bottom