Split screen on smart tv connected to desktop

functionalfool

Beta member
Hello everyone! New to the site and first time posting. Hopefully this can be done but I realize it may be a tall order. Here is my situation and what I'd like to do if possible:

I have my desktop connected to my smart tv via rgb and was wondering if there was a way to have a split screen of half internet and other half tv, netflix or dvd. I have an hdmi cord if rgb isn't suitable for this. My comp is running windows 7 and my tv is a vizio (less than a year old) if that matters. My tower is beside my tv and I use a wireless keyboard with mousepad kind of like a remote right now. I'm not sure if this is possible because smart tvs really aren't that 'smart'. Is the only way to split the screen on the computer end and run netflix or dvds through the comp or is there a way to truly integrate the tv and computer?

Thanks for reading and I look forward to any replies.

This would be a capability of your TV, not your PC necessarily. Can you tell us what the model of your TV is? Even still, I highly doubt you'll get much better than PIP.

Depends on your TV, your TV has to have PiP (picture in picture) in order to do this. A lot of TV's now adays do NOT have this feature, only really high end LED TV's and Plasma's have PiP today.

My office PC has a 24'' Samsung LCD that is PiP enabled and I can watch TV on half of the screen and have my computer on the other half. My old Samsung LCD 40'' TV can do this as well, but my new LED 55'' Samsung TV cannot. It's not a technology you find in a lot of LED's today unless they are high end.

Open 1 browser window to a webpage.
Open another to NetFlix.

Windows Key + Left the browser you want to surf with
Windows Key + Right to NetFlix.

Split Screen and able to do what you want. But this will be the only way. As you cant have the input of the TV set to 2 different input for split screen activity. Only if you have PiP will that work like stated.

My old 55" tv has PIP (no rgb or hdmi hookups tho) but the new tv does not have PIP that I'm aware of. I will just use the comp for the duel stuff I guess. Thanks for the info guys!

Back
Top Bottom